Installing to a USB external HDD

• Hi All,

I have an old N40L HP Microserver which is perfect for OMV, it has a modified bios and has 16 gb ram. It has an internal USB port for a pendrive and I want to hook here a WD element usb hdd. It does install ok, but when trying to boot after the installation, grub menu comes up and it fails to boot.

I think it is just the grub config that isn't right, but I have no idea how to fix it.

will try and create a screenshot at least a bit later.

thanks in advance

• This is weird.

I can mount the filesystem on my mac and I can see the contents of /boot/grub

Yet when I try to ls the folder in the grub menu, the folder is empty...

I was under the impression that I could still boot the system and then repair grub when I only have this one disk attached to the system?

:S?(

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm confused at to what you are try to do, post 9 in that link tells you to hit ESC on the grub screen during boot that stops the countdown the press e there you can edit the mount the F10 to boot then all you need to do is run update-grub from the cli on the running system.

I have an N54L running from a usb flash drive using the internal usb but I was able to install from a cd which negates grub boot issues.

• There's no countdown... as soon as the post passes the pxe and press F10 and F12 menu, I am presented with the few lines of text and grub as it is on 1.jpg.

ls command was typed in by me, but that's it, grub rescue> prompt and nothing else.

I am re-trying now with another solution - just hooked a disk on the optical drive sata port and that seems to resolve the issue, wanted to learn my way around grub a little bit, now that (yet again) it tricked me.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm even more confused now, during the boot process you will get a blue screen with text below the blue screen shows the kernel/bootloader to be used if it doesn't get to that then there is something else wrong. Have you/can you try a usb flash drive from that internal usb?

• I used balena etcher to write out the iso installer on a flash drive.

I can use this to boot the installer and install OMV to the WD Element USB connected HDD. This disk is connected to the on-board USB plug.

During the install /dev/sda is the WD element and /dev/sdb is the thumb drive.

All installs fine, grub goes through fine too.

Then when I reboot - I just get that error message, normal.mod not found and grub's prompt, that's it.

No blue screen, no countdown.

At the moment I have an internal sata disk instead. It is connected to the optical disk sata port and this way it boots fine.

NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
    sda8:00 149.1G0 disk
    |-sda1 8:10 133.2G0 part /
    |-sda2 8:20 1K0 part
    `-sda5 8:5015.9G0 part [SWAP]

• Offizieller Beitrag

Could this be a BIOS boot order issue?

• Offizieller Beitrag

That's interesting, that would imply that the chip being used in the WD enclosure is the problem, perhaps it has no capability to boot from the chipset.

I boot from a usb flash drive, I have 4 drives in the bays, a drive connected to the dvd port (ODD?) and a drive connected to the esata.

• hm, that would be interesting... no, no boot order issue, since the drive is alone, and it does get to grub - at least to some extent.

I do have another WD USB driver, an older passport one. I did boot off OSX from that ages ago, maybe will give that one a try.

Also, there's a SATA-to-DUALUSB connector that I have for notebook HDDs, and that worked too, so the WD enclosure could indeed be the culprit.

Thanks for helping me investigate guys, much appreciated!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!