OMV Shutting Down/Restarting Randomly

• So my OMV system seems to shut itself down and/or restart quite often. At first it seemed to be after doing an apt-get update/upgrade but now it seems completely random. Now sometimes it will stay on for 10 or 12 days, and sometimes it will restart every 12 hours. Now it appears to be shutting down completely more often than restarting, at which point I have to physically restart the system.

I did a new build of OMV 4.x about 8 months ago, and the restarts probably started happening 2-3 months ago.

I came across the thread on how to reduce resource limit errors and changed the /etc/default/openmediavault value to OMV_MONIT_SERVICE_FILESYSTEM_SPACEUSAGE="95", but the changes never appeared to take effect, as the web interface still shows one of my drives above the resource limit, even though it is only approximately 87% full.

Then I came across this thread https://forum.openmediavault.o…?postID=215087#post215087 and tried to complete the instructions within, but ran into a problem with the /etc/init.d/openmediavault-engined restart step, getting an error saying "-bash: /etc/init.d/openmediavault-engined: No such file or directory"

So I guess my question is two-fold:

1. What am I doing incorrectly that is causing my resource limit change to not take effect?

2. What can I do to check on what is causing these unexpected shutdowns and restarts?

Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not sure on the logs question, but I'd start with syslog and maybe boot... See if they are showing anything weird on the times this happens.

I will say, I've built computers a long time, and random reboots and and shutdowns have generally been hardware related to PSU, RAM, CPU. In that order

• Offizieller Beitrag

For me it doesn't help unless you have times this is happening. If it was just shutting down, I would think heat... but the fact it is sometimes shutting down and sometimes restarting, is making me think there is a power irregularity.

• So the computer restarted itself this morning at 11am. CRON jobs were running at the time. I was not streaming media from the server at the time

I've attached the logs, and included the highlighted part below

Oct 26 10:45:01 plex CRON[28554]: (root) CMD (if [ -x /etc/munin/plugins/apt_all ]; then /etc/munin/plugins/apt_all update 7200 12 >/dev/null; elif [ -x /etc/munin/plugins/apt ]; then /etc/munin/plugins/apt update 7200 12 >/dev/null; fi)
    Oct 26 10:45:01 plex CRON[28555]: (root) CMD (/usr/sbin/omv-mkrrdgraph >/dev/null 2>&1)
    Oct 26 10:45:01 plex CRON[28556]: (munin) CMD (if [ -x /usr/bin/munin-cron ]; then /usr/bin/munin-cron; fi)
    Oct 26 10:50:01 plex CRON[29480]: (root) CMD (if [ -x /etc/munin/plugins/apt_all ]; then /etc/munin/plugins/apt_all update 7200 12 >/dev/null; elif [ -x /etc/munin/plugins/apt ]; then /etc/munin/plugins/apt update 7200 12 >/dev/null; fi)
    Oct 26 10:50:01 plex CRON[29481]: (munin) CMD (if [ -x /usr/bin/munin-cron ]; then /usr/bin/munin-cron; fi)
    Oct 26 10:55:01 plex CRON[30228]: (root) CMD (if [ -x /etc/munin/plugins/apt_all ]; then /etc/munin/plugins/apt_all update 7200 12 >/dev/null; elif [ -x /etc/munin/plugins/apt ]; then /etc/munin/plugins/apt update 7200 12 >/dev/null; fi)
    Oct 26 10:55:01 plex CRON[30229]: (munin) CMD (if [ -x /usr/bin/munin-cron ]; then /usr/bin/munin-cron; fi)
    Oct 26 11:00:01 plex CRON[30973]: (root) CMD (if [ -x /etc/munin/plugins/apt_all ]; then /etc/munin/plugins/apt_all update 7200 12 >/dev/null; elif [ -x /etc/munin/plugins/apt ]; then /etc/munin/plugins/apt update 7200 12 >/dev/null; fi)
    Oct 26 11:00:01 plex CRON[30975]: (munin) CMD (if [ -x /usr/bin/munin-cron ]; then /usr/bin/munin-cron; fi)
    Oct 26 11:00:01 plex CRON[30974]: (root) CMD (/usr/sbin/omv-mkrrdgraph >/dev/null 2>&1)
    Oct 26 11:00:17 plex systemd[1]: Unmounting /srv/dev-disk-by-label-SideMiddle...
    Oct 26 11:00:17 plex systemd[1]: Unmounting Mount shared folder Stuff to /sharedfolders/Stuff...
    Oct 26 11:00:17 plex systemd[1]: Unmounting /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Bracket1...
    Oct 26 11:00:17 plex systemd[1]: Unmounting /srv/dev-disk-by-label-TopFront...
    Oct 26 11:00:17 plex systemd[1]: Stopped target RPC Port Mapper.
    Oct 26 11:00:17 plex watchdog[2076]: stopping daemon (5.15)
    Oct 26 11:00:17 plex systemd[1]: Stopping pNFS block layout mapping daemon...
    Oct 26 11:00:17 plex blkmapd[365]: exit on signal(15)
    Oct 26 11:00:17 plex systemd[1]: Unmounting /srv/dev-disk-by-label-BottomFront...
    Oct 26 11:00:17 plex systemd[1]: Unmounting /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Tray7...
    Oct 26 11:00:17 plex systemd[1]: Starting Beep before system shutdown...
    Oct 26 11:00:17 plex systemd[1]: Stopping ACPI event daemon...
    Oct 26 11:00:17 plex systemd[1]: Stopped target Timers.
    Oct 26 11:00:17 plex systemd[1]: Stopped Trigger anacron every hour.
    Oct 26 11:00:17 plex systemd[1]: Stopped Daily apt upgrade and clean activities.
    Oct 26 11:00:17 plex systemd[1]: Stopped Daily apt download activities.
    Oct 26 11:00:17 plex systemd[1]: Stopped Clean PHP session files every 30 mins.
    Oct 26 11:00:17 plex systemd[1]: Stopped Daily Cleanup of Temporary Directories.
    Oct 26 11:00:17 plex systemd[1]: Stopped target Graphical Interface.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It seems like a scheduled/intentional reboot. Not an error or crash.

Check the munin config. Is munin configured to shut down the server at certain times or on certain conditions? Perhaps after an update?

• Check the munin config. Is munin configured to shut down the server at certain times or on certain conditions? Perhaps after an update?

Thanks for the response.

Is munin something I perhaps stupidly installed? Or is it something that comes with OMV? Is it something I can remove?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Munin is not a part of OMV. You installed it. It is used for monitoring. It was something that was running as the server was shut down. I suspect that it was what shut the server down. It had just been updated and possibly wanted to reboot to apply changes. No guarantees, but it seems to be the likely culprit.

I have no idea if it is possible to uninstall munin without breaking everything. But it might be worth a try. If it goes south, be prepared to reinstall from scratch.

• I removed munin which didn't break anything, but the cron jobs and init jobs kept trying to run. I have commented those out, and so far so good. Will update in a few days if I avoid unexpected shutdowns and restarts.

In the meantime, I appreciate the help!

• So the server stayed up for 11 days, but shut down today at 7am.

This is the log from the time of shut down:

[sup][sub][/sub][/sup]Nov 8 07:09:01 plex systemd[1]: Starting Clean php session files...[/sub][/sup]

Nov 8 07:09:01 plex CRON[3689]: (root) CMD ( [ -x /usr/lib/php/sessionclean ] && if [ ! -d /run/systemd/system ]; then /usr/lib/php/sessionclean; fi)[/sub][/sup]

Nov 8 07:09:02 plex systemd[1]: Started Clean php session files.

Nov 8 07:15:01 plex CRON[3963]: (root) CMD (/usr/sbin/omv-mkrrdgraph >/dev/null 2>&1)

Nov 8 07:17:01 plex CRON[4253]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)

Nov 8 07:17:01 plex postfix/postsuper[4256]: fatal: scan_dir_push: open directory hold: No such file or directory

Nov 8 07:27:29 plex systemd[1]: Unmounting /srv/dev-disk-by-label-SideMiddle...

[sup][sub]Nov 8 07:27:30 plex systemd[1]: Stopped target Graphical Interface.

Is there any readily apparent reason for this?

[sup][sub]Thanks again in advance.[/sub][/sup]

• Offizieller Beitrag

Again, it seems to be an "intentional" shutdown. A nice and orderly unmount before a shutdown. Not a crash.

Perhaps you should consider a fresh reinstall to get rid of remnants from various previous tests?

When you test, first backup the rootfs. Then test. Then, if needed, roll back by restoring the backup of the rootfs.

A lot of this hassle can be avoided by using dockers instead of directly "contaminate" the root fs.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!