ZFS with Proxmox and OMV

• Hi,

I've managed to get OMV (usul) and Proxmox (6.) running side by side using this as a guide:

I have 4 WD Red 4TB drives in the PC, and when I installed proxmox I selected RAID10 as the installation option. This all worked fine, and it created the rpool (zpool status below). I cannot get OMV to recognize the existing pool (rpool). Is there a way I can configure this by hand? The GUI doesn't seem to want anything for ZFS other than empty disks. I'd really like to manage the datasets and snapshots on ZFS in OMV.

Of note: I was not able to install openmediavault-omvextrasorg package. I did edit openmediaault-zfs_5.0.1_amd64.deb to not list this as a dependency. It didn't seem necessary in this case (but I could be wrong).

• Offizieller Beitrag

I got confused. The zpool is a storage cfg in proxmox right? If so all you need is to create a volume in the guest assign size and that’s all. In omv you will format that volume in ext4 or
    Xfs. If you want to pass the whole storage and handle zfs in omv you need to pass the disks as hardware to the guests. You will loose smart monitoring in omv

• Offizieller Beitrag

running side by side using this as a guide:

weekly-geekly.github.io/articles/328048/index.html

Terrible idea especially since editing and building the openmediavault package will just break as soon as it updates. There are quite a few conflicting settings as well.

Of note: I was not able to install openmediavault-omvextrasorg package. I did edit openmediaault-zfs_5.0.1_amd64.deb to not list this as a dependency. It didn't seem necessary in this case (but I could be wrong).

Why would we put omv-extras in as a dependency if it didn't need it?? omv-extras doesn't do a lot for the plugin but it does pin the proper packages from backports. Otherwise, you get an old version of zfs. It would be better to just fix the problem with omv-extras not installing. What error did you get? How did you install it? Command line is better for most people.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• FYI, here are the errors when Installing openmediavault omvextrasorg.

#dpkg -i openmediavault-omvextrasorg_latest_all5.deb

(Reading database ... 82213 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to unpack openmediavault-omvextrasorg_latest_all5.deb ...
    Unpacking openmediavault-omvextrasorg (5.1.1) ...
    dpkg: error processing archive openmediavault-omvextrasorg_latest_all5.deb (--install):
    trying to overwrite '/etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/proxmox-ve-release-6.x.gpg', which is also in package proxmox-ve 6.0-2
    Processing triggers for openmediavault (5.0.11) ...
    Restarting engine daemon ...
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    openmediavault-omvextrasorg_latest_all5.deb

I rebuilt the pkg moving the problem gpg file (since it's already on my system from proxmox). The right way would be to have the script check for the file and skip it if it's there, but I wanted to see if it'd install.

cd /usr/src
    wget https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…rasorg/archive/master.zip
    unzip master.zip
    cd openmediavault-omvextrasorg-master/etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/
    mv proxmox-ve-release-6.x.gpg proxmox-ve-release-6.x.gpg.bak
    cd /usr/src/openmediavault-omvextrasorg-master
    dpkg-checkbuilddeps
    dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc
    cd /usr/src
    dpkg -i openmediavault-omvextrasorg_5.1.1_all.deb

go to system -> OMV-Extras
    Kernel Tab
    Proxmox -> Install Proxmox Kernel
    Click Start on the window.
    installed pve-headers-5.0.21-2.pve

I still can't seem to add anything to the existing ZFS pool. Is there a way this could be manually added to the database?

As an additional test, I created a proxmox guest OS with 5 drives. Installed proxmox to the first, and replicated everything. Decided to try OMV being in control of the pool instead of proxmox. It appears that OMV cannot handle raid10. If this isn't true, can anyone comment on how to make that happen?

Ideally I'd just like OMV to see the pool (rpool from proxmox), and then create whatever datasets I need, and let proxmox handle the zfs volumes for virtual machines. Anyone have any pointers?

Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

The right way would be to have the script check for the file and skip it if it's there, but I wanted to see if it'd install.

Nope. The right way is to use a supported install. The gpg files in the package are installed by the package. There is no logic to determine if it is already there from another package. And building your own package will just break as soon as a new omv-extras package is released.

t appears that OMV cannot handle raid10

I have used raid 10 arrays on OMV since the beginning (OMV 0.2) and it still supports it in OMV 5.x. Hard to say what is wrong with your system when it is so hacked up.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hello,

For someone who want to install OMV and Proxmox together some info below:

I try and on VM theoretically I can install OMV6 and Proxmox 7.1 together on one disk.

Proxmox use their own watchdog module and OMV5 depends of watchdog. OMV6 don't have watchdog on depends.

OMV6 together with Proxmox you can also install on ZFS dataset.

The best way to install Proxmox and OMV6 together is to install first Proxmox on ZFS root dataset, then OpenMediaVault.

Not so good if you install Debian on ZFS (using official documentation), then OpenMediaVault and in the end Proxmox. The problem is when you install boot "partition"/dataset on ZFS - OpenMediaVault in my case don't work well.

Best regards,

Kamil

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!