Cannot access SMB share from laptop connected to wireless

• Hello

I have been using wireless connection on my laptop to access my SMB shares on my NAS running OMV since I got my NAS up and running. I recently decided to connect through ethernet because of the speed advantage.
    Now when I go back to using the WiFi I cannot connect to the SMB shares, when I try to connect through explorer with ip-address Windows just requests user credentials which is impossible to get by. I believe it is something with Windows 10(starting to become pretty common with all the updates) since I can connect with all my other devices, some of which are using WiFi aswell. In OMW I have checked ACL's and SMB share settings and they should be ok.

I'm starting to get really frustrated with windows and networking. Appreciate all the tips I can get!

Thanks in advance.

• I'm not saying I can be much help as I'm just now getting back to playing with this project. I recall when it was first released and I played with this back then after having used FreeNAS for years...

A couple questions that may help someone troubleshoot your issue:

• Did you reboot your Windows laptop?
      • Don't choose shutdown as the Fast Startup feature may negate what you think you're doing by turning off your machine.
    • When was the last time you were able to make the connection via your wireless network interface controller (WNIC)?
    • You mentioned updates.... Have there been any major updates lately?
      • v1803, v1809, v1903
        • Run winver in a command prompt to let us know what version you're currently running.
    • It sounds stupid but, check for updated drivers for your WNIC.
      • I've seen old drivers do funny things and the fact that you can connect via your NIC and not your WNIC, lets me know your OS can make the connection.
  • Hey, thanks for the reply. My Windows is v1903 It wasn't too long ago it was updated, however it did work after that. I also tried to connect with my ethernet cable again and it didn't work either so I'm not sure what has happened. This started to a couple of weeks ago. I have also tried restart the pc.

• I managed to fix the problem, when asked for credentials when trying to access the OMV server in explorer I used my admin login and password that I use for the OMV WebGUI. First time I ever have needed to do that, which is weird since I can access my shares with all my other devices without needing it.

• I managed to fix the problem, when asked for credentials when trying to access the OMV server in explorer I used my admin login and password that I use for the OMV WebGUI. First time I ever have needed to do that, which is weird since I can access my shares with all my other devices without needing it.

That is strange. I'm still trying to wrap my head around these permissions in this software. I'm sure they're just basic Unix permissions but even though I've been dealing with Linux, Windows Desktop OS & Windows Server OS - professionally - for about 15 years, I still struggle with it sometimes! I like this project but I wish they would simplify some of its places where you deal with permissions. It just seems like setting permissions takes you into too many sections - unless I'm doing it wrong. Either way, it still seems a bit daunting for any basic noob-home-user coming into this project.

• I'm looking for help with similar/same issue although I never put mine on ethernet connection. I have been using wireless from my laptop to access my media server since the beginning, which is about a month now. I have Plex configured and shared drives with all my movies etc and I have been able to access them just fine until about a day ago when I did all the OMV and other updates available under update management. I have mapped drives configured and they normally connect when I boot up, but now they just tell me the specified password is incorrect and I know it's not.

I did just confirm that I can connect with the Admin account, but not the account that I created. I gave it all kinds of rights too, but it can't connect to shared drive.

• Again, not sure I can be much help but, did you reboot both your (Windows?) laptop and the OMV server after all the aforementioned updates? Not saying it'll help but I know Windows Explorer (again, assuming you have a Windows laptop) does strange things with SMB connections and a reboot often fixes them.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I managed to fix the problem, when asked for credentials when trying to access the OMV server in explorer I used my admin login and password that I use for the OMV WebGUI. First time I ever have needed to do that, which is weird since I can access my shares with all my other devices without needing it.

Try this: Setup a new user, in OMV, using the exact same username and password (Caps and all) that you use to log into the Win10 laptop.

(I don't get the path difference, WiFi versus wired Ethernet, but Windows is what it is. They push out security updates, with ever changing requirements, on a fairly regular basis.)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!