What is the difference between OMV shared folders and windows, synology shared folders?

    • OMV 4.x
    • jason2019 wrote:

      From the TV player, the first two can't be accessed, and Synology can do it.
      Some TV players, multimedia players etc. support only SAMBA SMB V1 protocol. This is disabled in newer OMV versions. With the CLI command testparm you can check in the global section which Samba protocols are supported by OMV.
      OMV 3.0.99 (Gray style)
      ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1)- Fractal Design Node 304
    • Yes, that could be a reason. The TV client is limited to using an old version of SMB that is disabled in OMV but perhaps enabled in Raspbian and Synology.

      If that is the case then either an update of the TV client or enabling the old SMBv1 protocol in OMV should fix it.

      But as I understand it Microsoft has ended support for SMBv1 for security reasons and it should not be used any longer. Problems with ransomware and so on. On a home LAN it might be OK?

      Perhaps there is an update available for the TV client?
      OMV 4: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4
    • cabrio_leo wrote:

      jason2019 wrote:

      From the TV player, the first two can't be accessed, and Synology can do it.
      Some TV players, multimedia players etc. support only SAMBA SMB V1 protocol. This is disabled in newer OMV versions. With the CLI command testparm you can check in the global section which Samba protocols are supported by OMV.
      Thank you for your reply. That is great help.


      I need to learn how to make samba support SMB1.
    • jason2019 wrote:

      I add this option in raspberrypi smb.conf . It did not work neither.
      It is necessary to restart the Samba service after the change. A reboot does the same.

      If also this does not help .... ?(
      OMV 3.0.99 (Gray style)
      ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1)- Fractal Design Node 304

      The post was edited 1 time, last by cabrio_leo ().

    • cabrio_leo wrote:

      jason2019 wrote:

      I add this option in raspberrypi smb.conf . It did not work neither.
      It is necessary to restart the Samba service after the change. A reboot does the same.
      If also this does not help .... ?(
      That parameter is not helpful for my TV player.Windows does not support SMB1 by default. My TV player cannot access the sharing of Windows computers under the default settings. But after I turned on the SMB1 service on Windows, the TV player can access it.But I tried to add this parameter on both OMV and RaspberryPi, but none of them improved.I searched the internet, but nothing progressed.
    • @jason2019

      You edit sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf on OMV, then write under global as the last line: min protocol = SMB1

      reboot or sudo systemctl restart smbd.service

      If that does not work you should also add these lines to smb.conf under global:

      Source Code

      1. ntlm auth = yes
      2. lanman auth = yes
      3. raw NTLMv2 auth = yes
      [4x RPi3] # [ NAS OMV 4.1.xx (Arrakis) @ NanoPI M4 ] # [ Nextcloud 17.0.1 @ ODROID C2 ]

      The post was edited 2 times, last by Aux ().

    • Aux wrote:

      You edit sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf on OMV, then write under global as the last line: min protocol = SMB1
      You should not edit /etc/samba/smb.conf directly. This file is rewritten by OMV when a share configuration is changed by the OMV WebUI later. Then all former manual changes are gone.
      All such modifications shall be done by the "extra options" field in the CIFS/SMB settings.

      Aux wrote:

      min protocol = SMB1
      Regaring to the Samba documentation it should be "min protocol = NT1". Does "min protocol = SMB1" also work?
      OMV 3.0.99 (Gray style)
      ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1)- Fractal Design Node 304
    • cabrio_leo wrote:

      You should not edit /etc/samba/smb.conf directly. This file is rewritten by OMV when a share configuration is changed by the OMV WebUI later. Then all former manual changes are gone. All such modifications shall be done by the "extra options" field in the CIFS/SMB settings.
      Oh, you're right, of course, I had not thought that far. I went straight from Debian.

      cabrio-leo wrote:

      Regaring to the Samba documentation it should be "min protocol = NT1". Does "min protocol = SMB1" also work?
      min protocol = SMB2 works but if SMB1 works I'm not sure, tasting costs nothing ;)
      [4x RPi3] # [ NAS OMV 4.1.xx (Arrakis) @ NanoPI M4 ] # [ Nextcloud 17.0.1 @ ODROID C2 ]
    • Good news, my TV player is working with the RaspberryPi shared folder after I add the three line to smb.conf file and restart samba.


      1. ntlm auth = yes
      2. lanman auth = yes
      3. raw NTLMv2 auth = yes
      Big thanks to Aux.



      Aux wrote:

      @jason2019

      You edit sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf on OMV, then write under global as the last line: min protocol = SMB1

      reboot or sudo systemctl restart smbd.service

      If that does not work you should also add these lines to smb.conf under global:

      Source Code

      1. ntlm auth = yes
      2. lanman auth = yes
      3. raw NTLMv2 auth = yes
    • geaves wrote:

      Would the option be to add min protocol=SMB1 to the Extra options in Advanced settings in SMB/CIFS.
      I would say it should be min protocol=NT1.

      jason2019 wrote:

      Good news, my TV player is working with the RaspberryPi shared folder after I add the three line to smb.conf file and restart samba.



      ntlm auth = yes

      lanman auth = yes

      raw NTLMv2 auth = yes
      Big thanks to Aux.
      If you enter this lines to the Extra options in Advanced settings of SMB/CIFS it should also work with OMV.
      OMV 3.0.99 (Gray style)
      ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1)- Fractal Design Node 304
    • cabrio_leo wrote:

      I would say it should be min protocol=NT1.
      Ah, that got me thinking from another thread, ntlm auth = yes was the solution there.

      Adding @Aux suggestions to the Extras option makes sense as these will not be overwritten by an update.

      Going back to 'you know who' he also didn't advocate using 'anachronistic settings' just to facilitate older tech :)
      Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?
    • Users Online 1

      1 Guest