Easiest upgrade path for new containers?

• Impatience can cause wise people to do foolish things, but as Dante said, "the wisest are the most annoyed at the loss of time".
    I urgently need to install Piwigo (photos), should I

• Install Piwigo in Docker on OMV 4. But how painless will this be to to migrate to Portainer after OMV 5 comes out?
    • Foolishly install Piwigo on OMV 5 beta (Colette: "you will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm")
    • Temporarily forget OMV, install Piwigo & Portainer on Debian Buster 10.1 which was released on September 7th. Then do a fresh install of OMV 5 when it appears and reattach the named volumes created in its absence.

Which one is the least work? I don't want to wind up wishing I had waited longer or wander away when OMV 5 is just about to shine like a ray through the clouds!
    Finally, as this is my first post, I do want to say thank you to votdev, ryecoaaron et al. I see working on the NAS as a kind of electronic indoor gardening and remember Proust: “they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.”

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, first... I would start with OMV 4. I would not install the docker plugin, but instead install docker manually and then install Portainer... or I guess you could install the docker plugin and then use it to install Portainer... then use Portainer.

Either way, to me it's inconceivable that a great tool like Portainer, is missing a critical feature like backing up and importing configured containers. I've been testing OMV 5 more and more and I've been Googling this subject for the last few days in case I run into issues upgrading.. Tried a few different solutions, but haven't come up with anything really useful.

It seems the best solution, is docker-compose and backing up the yaml file. I just can't warm up to docker-compose. I'm pretty comfortable in a command line environment, but just prefer a GUI. The docs on docker-compose are pretty thorough, I just don't have the attention span to read through it all.... but I think I'm gonna try.

It would be nice if you could use Portainer to create a docker compose file off a running container, or somehow export a container with all settings, etc. and just import it on another server.

• You just have to get used to the syntax of the compose file, but often you find an example at docker hub for the respective container, just like for the run command. Containers created with compose also appear in the docker gui of OMV, so can see there status from there.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You just have to get used to the syntax of the compose file, but often you find an example at docker hub for the respective container, just like for the run command. Containers created with compose also appear in the docker gui of OMV, so can see there status from there.

You know... when you put it like that... I stopped reading tutorials, etc (which in my opinion almost all were unnecessarily complex) and just decided to dive into it. If you have a basic understanding of containers you can almost write them yourself. First I was using docker-compose, then started uploading them with Portainer as stacks.

Thus far I've deployed about 5 of my "simple" containers on my OMV5 virtual machine. I just did my linuxserver/airsonic container, and completely wrote it by hand w/o referencing the docker hub page. Easy peasy.

I've not done some more complex containers yet (nextcloud).. but this isn't near as complex as I initially thought it was.

• Offizieller Beitrag

For piwigo I might be able to help further, since I already employed it on my VPS using docker-compose, at least for testing. So if you run into trouble, just let me/us know.

So maybe post a How-To in the guide section :thumbup:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!