NanoNAS NanoPi M4 3-bay or 4-bay most compact and low consumption RAID

• So you are good to go with the newer version but it would be helpful if you share your experience in case you have cloned this setup with the new nanopi M4V2. Thanks..

I got Nanopi m4v2 1 week ago but I found it is really messed up...not bootable from sd cards, not working wifi and utterly incompatible with any sbc images of old Nanopi-m4 such as openmediavault and armbians. They say it is because of the new LPDDR4.

• Ok, I don't really know much about Linux but the OMV4 is also possible to be installed on other distros... But I can't help with that maybe anyone else out there can support with that. Formfactorwise the V2 will fit inside my case design. But thanks for the feedback. Will help others much to stay out of trouble.

• Ok, I don't really know much about Linux but the OMV4 is also possible to be installed on other distros... But I can't help with that maybe anyone else out there can support with that. Formfactorwise the V2 will fit inside my case design. But thanks for the feedback. Will help others much to keep out of trouble.

Thank you for your kind response. Fortunately, I have succeeded in installing OMV5 through Rockpi4B Armbian on the Nanopi M4V2 yesterday and it worked. The same cpu and ram seems to have been possible. So now I am waiting for the power supply for the Sata Hat.

• Thank you for your kind response. Fortunately, I have succeeded in installing OMV5 through Rockpi4B Armbian on the Nanopi M4V2 yesterday and it worked. The same cpu and ram seems to have been possible. So now I am waiting for the power supply for the Sata Hat.

I had the same problem with my new Nanopi M4V2. How did you go about getting it to work?

• Hi canadavault,

is there no way to go for the OMV V4 version? As OMV5 ist not finalized right now and of course there is a mess around additional modules I would avoid to use it at that time. OMV4 does a great job so in my opinion if there is no showstopper I would choose V4 over 5...

• I don't know, does it counts, but I installed OMV5 (and returned to OMV4) on my netgear Stora NAS. Conveniently Netgear stops support this NAS and recommends backup all data and throw device you paid for away.

I used single usb port for 8Gb usb flashdrive and had installed Debian Jessie then upgraded to Buster and everything worked, but in not so convenient way. I installed webmin, but this thing too heavy and slooooooooooooow for such hardware. Every page opens terribly long. I gave a try to OMV. It surprised me in a very pleasant way. Fast, convenient and beautiful (except terrible guru meditation message I rid of with some css).

Everything worked. But with no extras. For some reasons extras are dropped for armel platform since erasmus.

But... Every extra - just a bunch of regular files, not a single executable except of scripts. I downloaded my extras from https://bintray.com/openmediavault-plugin-developers/ installed it via apt install .\mydeb.deb and everything worked like a charm.

First I used OMV5 but most extras are dropped for docker. I reflashed stretch rootfs to my usb and installed omv from scratch (before that I performed rather stupid and very time-consuming downgrade procedure before understood its futility).

BTW, I have a dead Zyxel nsa 325 NAS and thinking about installing some cheap and tiny arm board. But alas, SATA is rare, double sata is super-rare.

What are your board + sata hat cost?

• Hi Fanex,

the board is listed at friendlyarm starting from 50USD + 25USD for the sata hat. There is a version of the board available which offers 4GB RAM compared to the standard 2GB. In addition I bought the passive cooling heatsink for the board.

I posted a complete shopping list for my NanoNAS in this blog post and additional information to the setup at following LINK.

• Hi Fanex,

the board is listed at friendlyarm starting from 50USD + 25USD for the sata hat. There is a version of the board available which offers 4GB RAM compared to the standard 2GB. In addition I bought the passive cooling heatsink for the board.

I posted a complete shopping list for my MicroNAS in this blog post and additional information to the setup at following LINK.

Thanks! I bought my NAS at the Kleinanzeigen for 25 eur and hoped to revive it by restoring uboot or something. With no success, NAS is going in the cyclic reboot with no output to serial console. I'll give it another try but still don't know need I it if my current setup works jus fine ;)

I have spare intel miniITX with 2 SATA and atom n270, seems better use PSU from NAS and print a case like you did. Or revive somehow my NSA325, install debian and omv ;)

• today my new thermal cam arrived. Soon I came back to my NanoNAS and checked temps while keeping it under file exchange for at least 30 min before taking the latest shots. see the results in the attachment (timestamp in filename).

more photos as usual on my blog...

• Well Done!
    is exactly what i wanted to build but with 4 2.5'' HDD.
    unfortunately i need way more then 4GB RAM and for the OnlyOffice DocumentServer is not for ARM yet...
    maybe in the future i will make such a box for backup or retropi.

Thanks for Sharing this project with us and also the 3D Files ;)

• macom: yes horrible red signs but there is a well known german saying: "Where wood is chopped, splinters must fall" ;)

fraxor: if your document storing solution is able to access SMB or FTP storage then all should be fine for you - welcome and I would appreciate feedback when you have one in place!

• fraxor: if your document storing solution is able to access SMB or FTP storage then all should be fine for you - welcome and I would appreciate feedback when you have one in place!

I have Nextcloud running and works excellent!
    but for my mobile device i wanted to edit the files, and with the Nextcloud app it is not possible, as far as i know.
    but i will definitely give it a try and give you feedback ;)

• Hi wolf8auer,

Thanks and feel free using the design. The speed depends on the file size and network used. On ethernet I saw max rates of 120MB/s in Windows explorer but most of the time it is below 60MB/s via wifi it is even lower...

Don't expect too much what I can tell it is enough for the average user for storing files at home.

• As I was asked about the possibility to add an air filter I want to inform that this is already possible with the current design. There is plenty of space between the drives and the air intake slots in the lower part of the case. It is possible to put a filter fleece in there so no trouble later on with dust and failed heat dissipation.

• As I got my first feedback on thingiverse I want to inform everybody to be careful when you put the upper case over the external ports as this is the most fragile part. Designwise I didn´t found a workaround for this area so it can happen if you push too much that the connections between the ports break...

img_20200407_2036364242843451001992973-768x576.jpg

img_20200407_203621758931945228841897-768x576.jpg

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!