NanoPi M4 3-bay or 4-bay MicroNAS 7.7TB+ RAID-storage - most compact and low consumption

• OMV 4.x
    • kirkdis wrote:

So you are good to go with the newer version but it would be helpful if you share your experience in case you have cloned this setup with the new nanopi M4V2. Thanks..
      I got Nanopi m4v2 1 week ago but I found it is really messed up...not bootable from sd cards, not working wifi and utterly incompatible with any sbc images of old Nanopi-m4 such as openmediavault and armbians. They say it is because of the new LPDDR4.
    • Ok, I don't really know much about Linux but the OMV4 is also possible to be installed on other distros... But I can't help with that maybe anyone else out there can support with that. Formfactorwise the V2 will fit inside my case design. But thanks for the feedback. Will help others much to stay out of trouble.

The post was edited 2 times, last by kirkdis ().

• kirkdis wrote:

Ok, I don't really know much about Linux but the OMV4 is also possible to be installed on other distros... But I can't help with that maybe anyone else out there can support with that. Formfactorwise the V2 will fit inside my case design. But thanks for the feedback. Will help others much to keep out of trouble.
      Thank you for your kind response. Fortunately, I have succeeded in installing OMV5 through Rockpi4B Armbian on the Nanopi M4V2 yesterday and it worked. The same cpu and ram seems to have been possible. So now I am waiting for the power supply for the Sata Hat.

The post was edited 2 times, last by canadavault ().

• canadavault wrote:

kirkdis wrote:

Ok, I don't really know much about Linux but the OMV4 is also possible to be installed on other distros... But I can't help with that maybe anyone else out there can support with that. Formfactorwise the V2 will fit inside my case design. But thanks for the feedback. Will help others much to keep out of trouble.
      Thank you for your kind response. Fortunately, I have succeeded in installing OMV5 through Rockpi4B Armbian on the Nanopi M4V2 yesterday and it worked. The same cpu and ram seems to have been possible. So now I am waiting for the power supply for the Sata Hat.
      I had the same problem with my new Nanopi M4V2. How did you go about getting it to work?
    • New

I don't know, does it counts, but I installed OMV5 (and returned to OMV4) on my netgear Stora NAS. Conveniently Netgear stops support this NAS and recommends backup all data and throw device you paid for away.

I used single usb port for 8Gb usb flashdrive and had installed Debian Jessie then upgraded to Buster and everything worked, but in not so convenient way. I installed webmin, but this thing too heavy and slooooooooooooow for such hardware. Every page opens terribly long. I gave a try to OMV. It surprised me in a very pleasant way. Fast, convenient and beautiful (except terrible guru meditation message I rid of with some css).

Everything worked. But with no extras. For some reasons extras are dropped for armel platform since erasmus.

But... Every extra - just a bunch of regular files, not a single executable except of scripts. I downloaded my extras from bintray.com/openmediavault-plugin-developers/ installed it via apt install .\mydeb.deb and everything worked like a charm.

First I used OMV5 but most extras are dropped for docker. I reflashed stretch rootfs to my usb and installed omv from scratch (before that I performed rather stupid and very time-consuming downgrade procedure before understood its futility).

BTW, I have a dead Zyxel nsa 325 NAS and thinking about installing some cheap and tiny arm board. But alas, SATA is rare, double sata is super-rare.

What are your board + sata hat cost?