Switching to a different system

• I have had my OMV machine off for a while now and am on and old version. I was going to start back up the server but I want to try something besides OMV. Will my data get erased only have 1 hard drive at 1tb and another drive with the OMV on it.

If I disconnect the os drive and boot up a Linux server would I be able.to have access to the files on the hard drive?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Some caveats I'd note.

What is the filesystem and how will you access it? I'd say mounting a drive with data on another operating system should be fairly safe, but just make sure the new OS supports whatever fs you already have on the disk with your data.

And a backup never hurts.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What if I was going from OMV 3.0 to fresh install of OMV 5. On new drive all good? Thinking I may just stick with OMV

well first you need to figure out exactly what you plan to do

If you want to move to another OS, so long as that OS supports the filesystem on your storage drives, you should be fine.

If you move to omv 5, again .. you should be fine. Unplug your storage drives, install omv 5 to the is drive, then shutdown and reconnect your storage drives, mount their filesystems, then configure your shares and services again

• well first you need to figure out exactly what you plan to do

If you want to move to another OS, so long as that OS supports the filesystem on your storage drives, you should be fine.

If you move to omv 5, again .. you should be fine. Unplug your storage drives, install omv 5 to the is drive, then shutdown and reconnect your storage drives, mount their filesystems, then configure your shares and services again

Got ya well I did some reading and looks like I will probably just stay with OMV

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!