Can't Create SMB Share on Veracrypt encrypted device

• I have a RAID 1 enclosure that's encrypted using Veracrypt. I connected it to a RPI2b running OMV. I ssh'd into the Pi and mounted the encrypted device at /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Data. The volume is formatted with exfat and is labeled Data. The problem I'm having is that I can't create a SMB share on it. When I go to the add share panel there is no entry for this device in the Device dropdown menu.
    The device is listed on the Disks page and the file system is listed on the File Systems page with the device shown as /dev/dm-0. I am able to cd into the volume with ssh. How do I create a share on this volume?

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

In order to create a shared folder on a filesystem, the filesystem has to be mounted in the filesystems tab (not the cli) and exfat isn't supported by omv.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

No. It means it is very difficult to use exfat with OMV and if I understand veracrypt correctly (encrypted disk image file on a filesystem), you won't be able to access the veracrypt image from an exfat filesystem. If you move the veracrypt image to a native Linux filesystem, I would guess it would work but I can't say. I would use LUKSencryption (since there is an OMV plugin) instead of veracrypt and a native Linux filesystem on top of that.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I used full disk encryption instead of an encrypted container within another file system. A file system was then created on that encrypted disk. Unfortunately, the file system I picked was exfat so that will need to be reformatted. So let's say I reformat using ext4. I would still need to use the Veracrypt cli commands to mount the volume. Is there a way to do that within OMV?

At this point I'm asking to satisfy my own curiosity. If I have to reformat anyway I'll probably just switch to LUKS. I was hoping to avoid that since there's already data on the disk.

• Offizieller Beitrag

would still need to use the Veracrypt cli commands to mount the volume. Is there a way to do that within OMV?

The only way you could mount a veracrypt volume in the web interface is if someone wrote a plugin to do that. If veracrypt's volume is mounted from the CLI and it is creating a devicemapper device, it should (can't guarantee though) show up as an option to create a filesystem on in the Filesystems tab.

I was hoping to avoid that since there's already data on the disk.

It would be possible but difficult and not something I would ever use long term.

• I used script from reddit

My steps:

create folder /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-DLNA-1111/

my container is /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-0E4C55E559E63211/dlna.hc

From command line

1) veracrypt --verbose --keyfiles='' --pim=0 --protect-hidden=no --filesystem=none /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-0E4C55E559E63211/dlna.hc /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-DLNA-1111/

2) mount -o umask=000 /dev/mapper/veracrypt1 /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-DLNA-1111/

Next move to Web GUI

1) install mergerfs plugin and probably sharerootfs

2) add mount point to mergerfs

3) add share folder

3) add share folder to DLNA plugin or to SMB

4) check out it works but name is not human readable

• Looks like the name of the directory mergerfs creates in /srv/fcc....

Just share a directory inside the mergerfs not the whole mergerfs.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't know why mergerfs is being used here. Just sharerootfs is needed.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!