install usb 16 gig/14 gig

• hi;
    I've installed OMV to usb drive 16 gig now i was able to install ssh,shell in box,virtualbox,omv extras ,docker but when i go to install docker gui i get not enough room in var /install failed.
    So i removed shell in a box and another app but still the same. can i move var to my other drive for install? make a symlink some how.
    I want docker for piehole but i could do it with vbox i guess .
    heres what I'm wanting to do with this 8core 12 gig system:
    pi-hole
    nas
    pfsense in vbox
    this way i use this hardware to the max. less other things/pcs
    before i do pfsense i'll get a 4 port gig intel nic just for pfsense.
    i'll split off isp router as iptv will not work with pfsense too many hoops to jump through to have it just fail.
    then with 2 pc's and one htpc on wifi i'll be ok.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Before you install anything using the docker GUI you should move the docker base path. There is an option for that in the OMV GUI for docker. First create a share "docker" or similar. Then specify that as the docker base path. You can also add a docker config subfolder there, or create another share just for that.

By default the docker base pathis /var/lib/docker and that is on the root fs. This is very bad for three reasons:

1. The rootfs typically has limited free storage, and installing docker there can quickly fill the rootfs and OMV crash.
    2. If the rootfs is on flash memory like a SD card or a USB thumbdrive, having dockers there means a lot of writing. It might be metadata for plex or emby or simply frequent updates. That is bad for the flash memory and it may fail quickly.
    3. If you keep the rootfs free from docker and application data, then you don't need to backup it so often. Then it may be enough to clone the SD card or USB thumbdrive after major reconfiguration or upgrades. Instead you can backup just the data on some other drive.

It may be possible to move /var/lib/docker to another drive and link to that location in /var/lib. But that is low level hacking and not the "clean" way to do it. There are other threads here on this forum that describes other methods to move the docker base path. I just reinstall from scratch...

• Hi; while i understand this it was during the install of the plugin . i had to resetup the usb drive as it would not reboot after:(
    now i get this :
    Error #0:OMV\Config\DatabaseException: Failed to execute XPath query '/config/services/virtualbox'. in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/config/database.inc:78Stack trace:#0 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/module/virtualbox.inc(73): OMV\Config\Database->get('conf.service.vi...')#1 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/services.inc(56): OMV\Engined\Module\VirtualBox->getStatus()#2 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceServices->getStatus(Array, Array)#3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('getStatus', Array, Array)#5 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Services', 'getStatus', Array, Array, 1)#6 {main}
    on the new install thinking back to hard drive for me if this messes up again on me was using the flash to mem to keep writes dow that Technodad mentions and the drive would not boot after.
    is odd as the iso md5 checks out but it kicks me to a menu installer where i do install in parts did not do this before let me choose lang etc where now i get to a point for a console and choose utf then guess lang/char on the next screen is really odd

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do things in steps, in a reasonable order. And reboot between each step. That way you can figure out exactly why the USB won't boot. You can even clone the thumbdrive before steps you suspect can mess OMV up.

First a basic install.

Add a user. Member of ssh and sudo so you can login remotely using ssh or putty.

Then a full update.

Then install the flash plugin. Don't mess it up! Editing fstab is sensitive stuff. If you mess it up OMV may not boot. Other can do it, so you should be able to, without messing it up.

Then add a HDD.

Then create a share for docker.

Then install the Docker GUI.

Then configure the docker base path.

Then configure other shares and services.

Then add dockers.

And so on...

• Hi;
    did do that got that error to kinda leave as i made vbox folder and docker folder on the 180gig drive.
    now issue is back to can't install 305 mb free vat?? full.
    and can't install updates etc.
    now did omv-firstaid and cleaned some shit no luck.
    it's a 26gig drive , normal install 8 gig.
    says drive is 14.? gig even with docker,samba,docker,vbox(not setup) i should be able to get updates just odd.
    /update :
    one by one updating seems to work

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't quite understand what you mean.

So you had a fully functional and updated OMV install? And then you did something wrong and you broke OMV?

Once you have OMV fully installed and updated, back it up. Only then configure and add more stuff, testing as you go. If something break, assume you did something wrong, restore the backup, and try again. This time slower and with more care and possibly with more backups as long as things are OK.

There should be a certain point where everything is working perfectly, and then you do one specific small thing wrong, and that thing you did breaks OMV. You need to figure out exactly where that point is and what you did that broke OMV. Otherwise you are doomed to chaos and confusion and random fumbling in the dark.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!