2 or more OMV computers, 1 network file system?

• I'm thinking of adding another computer box running OMV, so there would be 2 boxes with HDD's(movies). ie 2 16TB computers running OMV. Is there a way to combine both boxes FS into 1. So another computer(player) would "see" 1 FS of movies.

• What advantage regarding watching movies does adding another computer have over just adding another disk to the one computer?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It might be single drive SBC NAS like my HC2s. ;)

You would need something like glusterfs. Outside of OMV.

However it is easy(?) to setup for instance Emby running on one NAS to include media folders from one or more other NAS. For instance you can have one NAS for movies and another for TV series. Or one NAS for old movies and one for new. One NAS for current TV shows and one for terminated. Or any split you want. Same with photo, music or whatever.

I do this using my single drive OMV Odroid HC2 NAS. They all share using nfs. And they all run autofs and they can all access each other's folders shared using nfs. I use this for backups. But also for Emby libraries.

On one NAS I run Emby in Docker, setup so that the autofs mount point is mapped to /mnt/share1. That means that Emby can use any shared folder on any of my NAS and present it as a media library.

I spent some time a year ago trying to configure cachefs in OMV/Armbian, to cache nfs. My intention was to use a big SSD on one HC2 and run Emby from there, with nfs cached on the SSD. But I never could get cachefs working on ARM. It still works pretty good without caching. No problems playing media, but it is a little slow indexing. I access the media using clients over wifi, so the wifi is the bottleneck, not the GbE between my NAS. The wifi means that I can't access high bandwidth 4K content, but lower bandwidth 4K is OK. I use Emby to transcode media in advance as needed. Or a desktop pc.

I might setup a x86 "front" Emby with cachefs, but I don't feel a pressing need...

This setup makes it possible to run only one instance of Emby on one NAD and still access all media on all my NAS.

• gderf:

1st computer has no additional SATA ports. And I have a few LGA775 motherboards, why not use them as additional OMV boxes. I can put these motherboards in a couple mini-towers.

Adoby:

Looks like I need to do some more research. Some of your vernacular is foreign to me. Guess I could have 1 box Movies A-M and the 2nd Movies N-Z. Just looking for an easy solution. :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Plex can display content from several servers in one PMS GUI. We watch media on an Apple TV and the Plex app handles several Plex servers with no problems. Not that I need more than one server to handle all of my media. I just like to install OMV on anything I can lay my hands on to see what it will do.

It’s a pretty neat deal. When you set up the second (and subsequent) server the first Plex’s url:port picks it up and adds it to the left menu.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!