Upgrade Planing

• Hi all,
    I'm running on my HP server Gen8 G1610T with 2GB OMV 2.2.10 and the system is now up more than 1000 days without any restart...
    First it sounds good as this is what I hoped (not much admin effort etc), but on the other side I have to realize that I need to upgrade to get any updates
    Installation on the HP Gen8 was not easy and it looks like that I could not find anymore what I had done in 2015 as I setup the system. Therefore I will try to prepare all other stuff well to have only this open issue.
    I'm running SNAP raid, file service (SMP/CIFS/, rsync, the flash RAM service and the plex media service

From what I have seen so far: I have to new install the system - no upgrade is possible
    Question 1: Install 4.x or wait for 5.x?

If I install a new system:
    Question 2: unplug the disk and install a new OMV on the SSD + UBS for grub (that is what I'm using now). Then plug in the disk again
    -->will be SNAP Raid detected without any issues?

For the other series I realized that this is more or less new configuration, except plex media server
    Question 3: for the plex media server it is recommended to install docker now?
    If yes: will be the 2GB enough?

Question 4: any further aspect which I need to consider?

Thanks & Regards,
    ichfunktion

• Offizieller Beitrag

Question 1: Install 4.x or wait for 5.x?

Up to you really. If you are comfortable with Linux, 5.x is fine.

the best process to use when OMV 5.0 becomes stable ie upgrade or re-install.

Same answer as above. If you are comfortable with Linux, the upgrade is ok. You will have to remove omv-extras plugins that haven't or won't be ported though.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I'm exactly in the same situation. Today I try to install Docker for testing purpose but Kernel Backport isn't avaiable anymore.
    Do you upgrade your Gen8?

1 - I think I'll try with Beta ... Stable seems near so I prefer to use a late Beta than install a new system and then run a dist-upgrade after a month

2 - I don't use SNAP but my raid come directly from an old DLink NAS and it's perfectly recognized by OMV2. I think the same happens in OMV5 (I hope :) )
    For the boot, I think I'll try to configure ODD SSD ad a single RAID disk and avoid the USB boot.

3 - I have 8GB. Onestly, if a direct plugin is avaible, I think I'll prefer it

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!