no DNS after boot.

• I'm trying to install OMV on a Raspberry Pi 3B+. I installed the image on a SD card (4 times using both dd and Etcher and it did verify) I power on the RPi and wait. I try to connect (Safari & Chrome) and the connection is refused. I try to log in via ssh, it finds the computer but logins fail. I hook up a console and can log in vi root.

Now comes the interesting part. My DHCP server (Pi-Hole) records that the connection and reports the correct IP (mac locked). I can ping by IP address only, no DNS resolution. I can see that the DNS/gateway has been configured correctly in the logs but it seems like OMV ignores my DNS server unless specifically told to to use it.
    host debian.org <- not found
    host debian.org 192.168.0.242 <- debian.org found just fine.

Needless to say the normal install boot fails because it cannot find any domains outside my local network.
    From OMV I can ssh/ping only IPs, no hostnames.

Why does OMV not use the DNS server configured suring the DHCP transaction? and how do I fix it?

TIA.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Your type of problems typically has two causes:

• The install is not finished. Could be because of a bad or slow SD card. Make sure to use at least a 16 GB A1 type card for a fast install.
    • You network (especially the router/DHCP-server) is not correctly configured

Please note: 192.168.0.252 is a IP inside your LAN. Not debian.org.

• I thought of the SD card issue. I tried a 16GB and 32GB SC cards (spares from my Pi farm) and in one case I waited 3.5 hours (went out for the night) and still no joy.

I have been using this configuration for over a year and currently have 10+ Pi's, 3 Mac's 4 phones and any number of IOT's devices connected and none have had any difficulty. Even this PI was originally purposed as a Raspbian machine and the DHCP was fine (this is why the MAC is tied to a specific IP)

I looked at the log again and the DHCP transaction seems nominal. All the info is there and correct.

TFTH.

• I manually added my server to /etc/resolv.conf and can ping any device from my OMV machine by name. When I reboot, the mods go away and I'm right back to where I started from :(.

How do I configure this manually so that the edits stick?

• No joy. :(

It seems that OMV is sensitive to something with certain DHCP servers. In my case Pi-Hole. It won't use the DNS server that is issued during the DHCP transaction. I can see that the correct DNS server is accepted in the traction.

I don't have the skills patients or time necessary to continue exploring this.

I'll keep looking back on occasion to see if someone has figured it out.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I power on the RPi and wait.

How long?
    You really need to wait until the reboot is finished. Maybe read the instructions on sourceforge again and make sure you strictly follow each of them.

• In one case I waited over three hours (went to dinner) and still no joy. This is an issue with OMV not using my DNS server but instead using 1.1.1.1 which is blocked by my ISP for DNS requests.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!