Homes vs Users

• Hello all -

I have a question regarding the Homes and User Folders - seems I cannot get my head around
    I created a Homes directory (which also hosts users directories - setting under users)
    I also enabled User Homes in the SAMBA config

I see the <homes> share as expected and I also see my <user> share as expected. So far so good

What I wouldn't expect that the <user> share points back to <homes>

What I expect is the following:

<homes>
    +-- <user 1>
    +-- <user 2>
    +-- <user 3>

and

<user 1>
    +-- my stuff

instead of...

<homes>
    +-- <user 1>
    +-- <user 2>
    +-- <user 3>

and

<user 1>
    +-- <user 1>
    +-- <user 2>
    +-- <user 3>

I read through the forum but couldn't get any hint on this -
    either I use the wrong key words or it is only me who sees this behaviour

regards

Michel

• Offizieller Beitrag

Home folders are available for use in OMV but is perhaps not the reason why most use OMV.

It is possible to setup a (OMV) Linux server so that when you create a user, then a subfolder for that user is also created. Typically so that only that user can access that folder. Typically that subfolder is created in the /home folder. And when that user login to the system the special path ~/ points to that user folder for that user. There are also some environment variables set. And this is before you even install SMB/CIFS...

Home folders in SMB/CIFS is yet another story. With IBM and Microsoft becoming involved. At least retroactively.

What you do with the home folders is your decision as system administrator. You can use it for wonderful things like centralized logins and settings and desktop environments you can access from anywhere, using any client. Or you can ignore it.

I recommend that you ignore it. The home folder system in OMV need some serious reconfiguration to become usable. For instance /home is in the root filesystem. That is very, very bad if you intend to use it for anything real. You would have to create a separate /home volume somewhere.

The OMV home folder system, as it is, is adequate for handling the profiles for one or two system administrators, but not for a lot of users.

Or you can setup a Linux server (perhaps using OMV) to experiment and learn more. Configure OMV to handle home folders for a lot of users. Perhaps even Windows users. Perhaps buy some books. Read tutorials on the internet. Attend some online education program about user management in Linux.

Be smart - be lazy. Clone your rootfs.
    OMV 5: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!