My next NAS?

• Before I waste time on trying to set this up I thought I check my wishlist here first:

I would like to use a RPi4 and attach 2 SSDs via USB.
    The system on the SD card should ideally be read-only. Only changed to read-write for manual system updates.
    One SSD should host data that is made available via SMB/AFP.
    The other SSD to should be made available as iSCSI target.
    I want to use this with globalSAN from SNS to create block level backups over the network from my Catalina macOS laptop.
    Cherry on top: The data SSD should be backed up when connecting another HD locally and via network to an offsite location.

Potential issues I see:
    - IIUC iSCSI support was deprecated/removed in version 4
    - Not sure there is much support for the read-only system
    - Version 5 does not have any RPi images yet

Any thoughts? Or red flags?

• The system on the SD card should ideally be read-only. Only changed to read-write for manual system updates.

This could never work.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Huh? Care to elaborate why not?This is not exactly unheart of. Just think of all those linux live CDs - tmpfs is your friend.

Ask anyone who has had their OMV boot its rootfs read only how well things worked for them.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Huh? Care to elaborate why not?
    This is not exactly unheart of. Just think of all those linux live CDs - tmpfs is your friend.

OMV (actually the underlying OS - Debian) actively "monitors" functions, hardware, maintaining numerous log files along with activity adjusting memory to accommodate disk I/O. Many of these maintenance routines require "write access" to the boot drive.

What you're talking about is the use of a read only file system on a CD-ROM and the use of tmp-fs or a ram disk, as a "patch" to simulate the above. The problem with that is, it can't be updated, extensively configured and, more importantly, "saved" in a way that easily survives a reboot. I know some live systems allow saves to a hard drive, etc., but suffice it to say that OMV is not designed that way. The basis of OMV's design is along the lines of a traditional Linux file server, but it's much easier to use with the GUI.

In the bottom line, if you find another NAS OS that supports a read only boot drive, out of the box, I'd be interested in testing it.
    (And you could try building your own.)

Potential issues I see:
    1. IIUC iSCSI support was deprecated/removed in version 4
    2. Not sure there is much support for the read-only system
    3. Version 5 does not have any RPi images yet

1. There's an AOE plugin for OMV4 - similar to iSCSI. I believe it will be ported to OMV5, but I'm not certain.
    In any case, configuring iSCSI on the CLI is doable.
    2. There isn't.
    3. An image is not necessary. OMV5 can be built, on an R-PI4, with a walk through -> scripted install.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!