limit CPU performance?

• is there a way to limit the CPU performance for example using Intel Speedstep to limit the CPU to a minimal frequency ?
    I'm sure the Linux Kernel can do this by default by changing values like max_freq or governor in the systree but can this be set through the web interface?
    I don't really want the CPU to consume too much if I don't really need all its power for simple things like file transfer etc..

And the bios also doesn't have much options since its a Dell Optiplex, I can only enable or disable turboboost or speedstep, but not manually edit the clock speed.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You should be able to write scripts that change CPU freq and governor. And the run these scripts as tasks from the web GUI.

But why not simply use the ondemand governor with low min and high max freq? Then it should be self regulated and work as you want it by itself.

• might probably do that but I was wondering if there was a plugin to freely change this as graphical settings in the web interface.
    I could make one though if I knew how... how does the interface work php/css/js?

• Offizieller Beitrag

No idea. But is there really any need to mess with it?

I just checked one of my OMV NAS. Odroid HC2. It is already, by default, set up with ondemand and low min and high max. I'm fine with that.

adoby@nas0:~$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    ondemand
    ondemand
    ondemand
    ondemand
    ondemand
    ondemand
    ondemand
    ondemand
    adoby@nas0:~$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/cpuinfo_min_freq
    adoby@nas0:~$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/cpuinfo_max_freq
    adoby@nas0:~$

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is no need to write a plugin. There is already cpufrequtil code in OMV. Just set the following settings in /etc/default/openmediavault

OMV_CPUFREQUTILS_GOVERNOR="ondemand" or whatever governor you want
    OMV_CPUFREQUTILS_MINSPEED="600000" or whatever minimum speed you want
    OMV_CPUFREQUTILS_MAXSPEED="900000" or whatever maximum speed you want

and then
    omv-mkconf cpufrequtils on omv 4.x
    omv-salt deploy run cpufrequtils on omv 5.x

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!