My glorious return to OpenMediaVault.

• It's been a number of years since I've had an OMV box, happy to be back. Trying to re-familiarize myself with things, while also getting vaguely accustomed to what plugins will remain, versus which will be better suited for Docker containers after the 5.0 release (later this year?) the intent is to deploy this remotely, as off-site backup (et al) and want to have everything in order before setting it up in the new location. Just recently made the jump from Apache2 to NGINX and looking forward to migrating my website to this device. Thanks to this great community and thanks for taking a glance at my stuff! Any questions, comments, suggestions or critiques very much welcome.

• OMV v4.1.26 (Arrakis) boots (and runs) from an 8GB USB 2.0 flash drive, with folder2ram plugin & noatime and nodiratime options added to /etc/fstab
    • Debian GNU/Linux 9.11 (stretch)
    • Linux OMV 4.19.0-0.bpo.6-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.67-2+deb10u1~bpo9+1 (2019-09-30) x86_64 GNU/Linux

This build is on an ancient Dell Optiplex 330, cobbled together from parts I had lying around: 8o

• Intel Pentium Dual-Core CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz
    • 4GB DDR3
    • 500GB x 4 (SATA1 port is not responding, have some troubleshooting to do -- drive is good), 500GB RAID1 array for network backups, 500GB for torrent downloads, until I can resolve the issue with any drive I try in SATA1 device reported as "unknown" =(

Getting decent performance across the network, according to CrystalDiskMark. Intending to run 4 x 500GB in RAID10 array, if possible.

Performance testing, mounted as Windows network share, tested as mapped drive in Windows 10 (will ultimately be reached via site-to-site encrypted IPsec VPN tunnel):

[read / write speeds]

• Sequential Q32T1 118.5 / 116.8 Mbps
    • Sequential4K Q8T8 105.8 / 67.87 Mbps
    • Random4K Q32T1 92.03 / 77.62 Mbps
    • Random4K Q1T1 11.37 / 12.40 Mbps

Question for the experts: initially, when installing OMV to the USB stick, it was partitioned with 4GB usable space and 4GB swap file, but I have since disabled that from within /etc/fstab -- should this be reparitioned, so I can use the entire ~8GB for the OS? What might be the best way to go about that, using GParted, or some live disc to boot from? Thanks very much for pro-tips on how to best approach this. I struggled a little bit, was unable to get the OS to install directly onto the USB flash drive in this machine and I had to create it from another PC before migrating back to this.

Bash
    sdd       8:48   1   7.5G  0 disk
    ├─sdd1    8:49   1   3.6G  0 part  /
    ├─sdd2    8:50   1     1K  0 part
    └─sdd5    8:53   1   3.9G  0 part
    • Offizieller Beitrag

I'd say that if you really need a bigger root fs, you are probably doing something wrong.

Most extra software "should" be installed as dockers. And the docker base path should NOT be in the root fs. (It is by default /var/lib/docker in the root fs).

• Offizieller Beitrag

initially, when installing OMV to the USB stick, it was partitioned with 4GB usable space and 4GB swap file, but I have since disabled that from within /etc/fstab -- should this be reparitioned, so I can use the entire ~8GB for the OS? What might be the best way to go about that, using GParted, or some live disc to boot from?

Yes, you have to delete the swap partition and increase the size of the OS partition. This can be done with GParted as you write.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!