Noob Q: access my shared files via shell/ssh?

• Hi,
    There's got to be a simple answer to this. I have been searching the forums and the internet for two days trying to figure this out. I'm new to OMV. I'm in the process of moving over from FreeNAS. I liked FreeNAS but it was too resource heavy for my Intel Atom MOBO with 4 gigs of ram. I'm also newish to Linux and CLI but I'm learning a ton working with these servers!

My big question is: Where are my shares in the shell/SSH file directory heirarchy? In FreeNAS, I've got LVZ volumes and they show up in /mnt/; however, if I ssh into my omv box with root and go to /mnt/ nothing shows us when I "ls". I have poked around the entire directory structure for the past day and see /media/ directory that looks possible but I can't select any directories within it.

I'm using RSync to move my files from the FreeNAS machine to OMV, and I can access my OMV shares from my Windows machine using SMB/CIFS. However, I'd like to rearrang some of the directories on the OMV and thought I'd go in via SSH to do it using "mv" because moving large amounts of data from windows/smb is so slow. However, I just can't find where they are.

Again, I'm sure the answer is simple. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated,

• Offizieller Beitrag

Filesystems are mounted in /media using the drives uuid - /media/ed60b1a2-a21f-4b4f-942f-470d0bf35e95

You can find the uuid of a filesystem using blkid

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Zitat von "Herm71"

[...] However, I'd like to rearrang some of the directories on the OMV and thought I'd go in via SSH to do it using "mv" because moving large amounts of data from windows/smb is so slow. [...]

If they are located within the same share they should be moved instant.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

Filesystems are mounted in /media using the drives uuid - /media/ed60b1a2-a21f-4b4f-942f-470d0bf35e95

You can find the uuid of a filesystem using blkid

Hi ryecoaaron,

I found this directory but when I tried to "cd /media/ed60b1a2-a21f-4b4f-942f-470d0bf35e95/" I got an error that there was no such file or directory. I will try "blkid" and see what happens.

Thanks for your response!

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

If they are located within the same share they should be moved instant.

Greetings
    David

Hi David,
    Thanks for your reply. Last night I Rsynched a sample of data from my FreeNAS box to the OMV as a test. I didn't put a trailing slash in the pathway in RSYNC module so what copied was all the files nested within their original directory, whereas, I wanted just the files themselves. This is what got me going on this goose chase. At first I started deleting the directory with all the files via Windoze/SMB share but that was taking *forever*. So, I cancelled the delete job and thought I'd just ssh into the OMV and move or remove them via the command line. This is where I got stuck actually locating the files (which, evidently, are in "/media/". At any rate, deleting the files via Windows/SMB access didn't seem very "instant."

Anyway, I'm still configuring things and poking about, so I will take this info into account!

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "Herm71"

I found this directory but when I tried to "cd /media/ed60b1a2-a21f-4b4f-942f-470d0bf35e95/" I got an error that there was no such file or directory. I will try "blkid" and see what happens.

That is my uuid :) Try:

cd /media/
    ls

This will show you directories in /media

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

That is my uuid :) Try:
    cd /media/
    ls

This will show you directories in /media

I should've specified, I used my version of that, using my uuid. I actually went to /media/ and "ls", got the uuids, tried to 'cd' into one of them, and got "no such directory" error. Hmmm...

• Please do that steps again, list the directory with ls -la /media and try to cd to one. post the whole output here.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Code
    Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
    permitted by applicable law.
    Last login: Sun Oct 20 10:34:58 2013 from pc
    root@OMVSardaukar:~# cd /media
    root@OMVSardaukar:/media# ls
    185ebf0e-6b50-42f3-9ebf-9596c27c38b5  cdrom  cdrom0
    root@OMVSardaukar:/media# cd ./185

Once you have "cd ./185" you can then press TAB and it will complete the uuid. Then you have:

root@OMVSardaukar:/media# cd ./185ebf0e-6b50-42f3-9ebf-9596c27c38b5/

Then press ENTER and you will be in root of data drive.

• Hello all who helped,
    Thanks for all your help. Like I mentioned, this was a "dry run" to get my feet wet with OMV. I actually ended up reinstalling again and starting from scratch, based on stuff I've been learning via these forums (and, you know, Google ;-)). Anyway, I don't know why I wasn't able to access my shares before but I'm able to now. I learned the "type the first three characters and press Tab" trick -- thanks for that! I reinstalled OMV and went with the LVM (which might be cause for a future forum post/question, but as a former WHS v.1 user, I really miss "drive pool technology" as opposed to just RAID).

So, I've got a 4TB pool created (2 X 2TB WD Caviar drives) and I'm currently in the process of RSYNCing my files over from my FreeNAS box. I'm able to access my shares via SMB/CIFS, got Transmission, DLNA and forked-daap running. So ... so far so good!

Thanks again.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!