Can't create shared folder

• I can't seem to create a shared folder now. I was able to create 2 when setting it up, but now that I want to add another, it's giving me trouble.

I keep getting this when trying to apply it.

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; systemctl restart 'sharedfolders-Storage.mount' 2>&1' with exit code '1': Assertion failed on job for sharedfolders-Storage.mount.

When showing details:

Error #0:
    OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; systemctl restart 'sharedfolders-Storage.mount' 2>&1' with exit code '1': Assertion failed on job for sharedfolders-Storage.mount. in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/process.inc:182
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/systemctl.inc(86): OMV\System\Process->execute(Array, 1)
    #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/systemctl.inc(160): OMV\System\SystemCtl->exec('restart', NULL, false)
    #2 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/module/sharedfolders.inc(66): OMV\System\SystemCtl->restart()
    #3 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(194): OMVModuleSharedfolders->startService()
    #4 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChanges(Array, Array)
    #5 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #6 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(149): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChanges', Array, Array)
    #7 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(565): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->OMV\Rpc\{closure}('/tmp/bgstatusvr...', '/tmp/bgoutputJ5...')
    #8 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(159): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->execBgProc(Object(Closure))
    #9 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(213): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethodBg('applyChanges', Array, Array)
    #10 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChangesBg(Array, Array)
    #11 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #12 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChangesBg', Array, Array)
    #13 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Config', 'applyChangesBg', Array, Array, 1)
    #14 {main}

From logging in as root, the folder is created.....but since the console fails to apply/complete whatever it is it needs to do, I have nothing to share, or use.

How do I fix this? Why did this happen?

• Actually....it appears everything completes properly, but it acts like it doesn't and keeps throwing up errors, unless I revert.

I have a share, I have been able to map to it and use it.....but now my console keeps throwing up a bar that requires me to apply or revert, and throws up the errors when trying to apply. And I don't want to revert.

What is going on here?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've not had this problem in 5... but on 4 it would crop up randomly for some reason

Are you two running Docker? If so, see if this helps

If so, SSH your machine and make sure you are root

4.xx -- service docker stop
    5.xx -- systemctl stop docker

Once they are stopped, Then see if you can make changes to your shared folders, apply them, etc.

Assuming so, when you're done you can start docker again by substituting start for stop in the commands above.

• Using OMV5 I am getting the exact same thing as OP. Was able to add some shared folders after initial install, then tried to add more a week or two later and get this error now. Can't add any new shares now.

• To answer myself and help anyone else, votdev has the correct answer...

You are surely using '/sharedfolders/xxx' in a plugin, e.g. Docker. This is not allowed because it results in the problems you now have. The '/sharedfolders' shortcuts were only implemented to make navigation on CLI easier. Using them for example in Docker means that Docker locks the dirs and systemd fails when OMV tells it to reload them.

So, change plugins to use eg. /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Media/Media instead of /sharedfolders/Media

• To answer myself and help anyone else, votdev has the correct answer...

So, change plugins to use eg. /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Media/Media instead of /sharedfolders/Media

I don't know if this is the same problem, but...

It seems that docker changes the permission on the shared folders if it is called shared folder or /srv/dev...

I have tried referencing them both ways and it resets permissions both ways.

For right now, I installed the reset permissions plugin and just reset permissions after I run docker.

• For the 2nd time, I am not using docker, never heard of docker, never enabled anything called docker, and when trying the instructions to disable it found that it was already disabled.

This may be useful information for those that run into this problem because of it, but that's not the case for the problem I opened this thread for.

Is there anyone that can help with this? I've yet to see an answer or an attempt at help here.

• All I did was create a few shared folders through the openmediavault control panel, which as far as I know is pretty standard stuff, and mapped drives to the folders from my PCs to use them. Seems pretty basic and straightforward to me. Not sure why I keep getting this error, and why it seems to be so difficult to get a straight answer as to what it means, or what I can do to further troubleshoot and resolve the issue.

• I don't know if this is the same problem, but...
    It seems that docker changes the permission on the shared folders if it is called shared folder or /srv/dev...

For right now, I installed the reset permissions plugin and just reset permissions after I run docker.

Anyway I just did that on a omv 4.xx at least it is working I can create or modify my shared folders again

• I don't know if this is the same problem, but...

Anyway I just did that on a omv 4.xx at least it is working I can create or modify my shared folders again.

/srv/dev-disk-by-label-WD_10TB_1/docker
    instead of
    /sharedfolders/AppData/docker

• I have no idea what anyone is talking about, and it appears to have absolutely nothing to do with the question at hand that I started this thread with.

Do I need to start a new thread?

Is anyone here that is capable of helping with problems with this shoddy, buggy, piece of software that can't handle basic functions?

• That's great....but what use is it if a basic function like creating a share, which is the whole point of this, doesn't work? And then people keep hijacking this thread.

I came here for help, I asked nicely, and all I see in this thread is people coming in with their own different problems, and answers that have nothing to do with what I asked. So excuse me if I'm a little ticked off with the lack of support around here.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I had problems to create shared folders as well. Unfortunately I don't remember the actual error that was reported nor what I have done to solve it.
    Here is what I would do (one after the other):

• Clear browser cache and use omv-firstaid from CLI and select option 10 (clear web control panel cache)
    • Change the settings of an existing share. Save and Apply. By doing this some files are recreated in the background. Maybe that solves the issue.
    • Open a new thread with the description; clearly state your OMV version and that you do not use docker, only SMB/CIFS (as I understand); you could also tag votdev (he is the developer of OMV)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!