Harddrive Failure and Data Recovery

• Sorry. I've been indisposed for awhile. Being that I'm having a hernia repaired tomorrow, I'll have more dedicated time to spend getting this fixed. Maybe TMI, but that's what's happening.

Anyway ...

I was able to stop mei from running. But I cannot get the gddrescue package installed. Here is what I get:
    Err:1 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 gddrescue amd64 1.21-1
    Temporary failure resolving 'ftp.us.debian.org'
    E: Failed to fetch http://ftp.us.debian.org/debia…ddrescue_1.21-1_amd64.deb
    Temporary failure resolving 'ftp.us.debian.org'
    E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

So I tried the two suggestions with no results. I'm doing all of this from OMV root.

What am I doing wrong?

• A failure to resolve means you have no working DNS or no internet connection. I can reach those sites at the time of this writing.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• It must be DNS then as I have been able to ping 64.50.236.52, which I think is the Debian.org site? So I have internet connection, but no DNS. Do I resolve this through my modem, or add a DNS address into OMV?

• I would add DNS servers to OMV's network configuration as this would be the easiest for now.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I would add DNS servers to OMV's network configuration as this would be the easiest for now.

If I remember right, any DNS server will do ... like Googles 8.8.8.8. Is that right? And can't I do that somewhere in the WebGUI?

Edited:

Hooray! Found where to put DNS in the WebGUI, added 8.8.8.8, and gddrescue installed.

Stay tuned for the next step ... :)

• OK, ddrescue finished after several hours. What would be my next step? I was thinking maybe remove the new drive, put it in my HDD case, and see if I can see the files on my Windows 10 system. If they are there, I believe I'll eventually need to recreate the Shared Folders and move all the files into their proper locations. But I'm guessing you might have a better idea?

• Did it Report any Errors?

I didn't look very carefully. There must be a way to view the logfile.log contents.

Put this Copy in a safe place and die Not Touch it.

Take the drive out? And don't try to look at it in Windows 10?

In the original run a btrfs scrub /mountpoint

What happens if I run that command? Does it change anything on that drive? And how do I specify that drive ... is that the mountpoint (in my case /dev/sdb)?

• Type

Code
    more /path/to/Log.file

The copy will Most likely be No better than the original and we so Not want to damage it by a Beta Windows Driver.

No. Lets keep this as our Life insurance.

The mountpoint is not sda but /srv/dev-by-label-data3 or/mount/something as you can find in the OMV GUI.

Code
    btrfs scrub start /dev/disk-by-label-data3

and monitor the status with

btrfs scrub status /dev/disk-by-label-data3

Also Post the output of

Code
    dmesg -w| grep btrfs
    cat /var/log/syslog | grep btrfs

We will be following this guide

Greetings,
    Hendrik

• Hey henfri,
    I will do all of your last instructions, but was thinking I would like to do another ddrescue onto a new, spare 1TB harddrive that I have. Then I can poke around in it. I have put the 2TB harddrive away for safekeeping, as you had instructed. But I don't want to overwrite the logfile.log because it probably has some impact on the rescue. How do I do a second ddrescue with its own logfile somewhere that doesn't affect, or attempt to overwrite, the first one?

more /path/to/Log.file

I'm a bit confused about this. Do I type that exact language into the command line? (i'm guessing not ... sorry, I'm a neophyte in linux commands and structures).

p.s. recovering from hernia surgery four days ago, so not spending a great deal of time in front of the computer right now. But checking for responses.

• Hello,

I hope your recovery is going well.
    Feel free to do another copy.

Code
    ddrescue /dev/broken /dev/target /logfile2.log

And to see the log file it would be

Code
    more /logfile.log

or

more /logfile2.log

The logfiles are on the root filesystem, that is the file-system you are booting from.

You forgot to send the output of

Code
    dmesg -w| grep btrfs

It's showing the state of your filesystem only and will modify nothing. So don't worry.

Greetings,
    Hendrik

• Hi Hendrik,

ddrescue /dev/broken /dev/target /logfile2.log

Before my last entry, I had tried doing this, but even with /logfile2.log I get the following feedback:

ddrescue: Output file exists and is not a regular file
    ddrescue: Use '--force' if you really want to overwrite it, but be aware that all existing data in the output file will be lost.
    Try 'ddrescue --help' for more information.

I studied a bit on the GNU ddrescue manual but it didn't really help me with this issue. What do you think? Will this actually wipe out the original /logfile.log or is there actually another /logfile2.log, or is this more of a phantom message?

Thanks,
    Steve

• Can can you please post the output of the first log file, the exact command you used when you successfully used ddrescue
    and also the output of the other logs I requested?

The Error you get is not caused by the logfile.
    --force should be used, but only If you are damn sure you have identified source and target right.

• Thanks. Posting output from command line ... this is where I always seem to have a question. How do I get that from the command line output into here? Or can I get it from the OMV GUI and then post it into here? Sorry, linux challenged.

Meanwhile, here is the logfile.log output:

# Mapfile. Created by GNU ddrescue version 1.21
    # Command line: ddrescue /dev/sda /dev/sdb /logfile.log --force
    # Start time: 2019-12-01 18:42:09
    # Current time: 2019-12-01 23:46:36
    # Finished
    # current_pos current_status
    0x02507C00
    # pos size status
    0x00000000 0x00110000 +
    0x00110000 0x00001000 -
    0x00111000 0x00BF2000 +
    0x00D03000 0x00001000 -
    0x00D04000 0x0002E000 +
    0x00D32000 0x00002000 -
    0x00D34000 0x017D0000 +
    0x02504000 0x00001000 -
    0x02505000 0x00002000 +
    0x02507000 0x00001000 -
    0x02508000 0xE8DE8AE000 +

The command line comment is what I used, minus the '--force'. I did not invoke the '--force' on the command line, so the system must have done that on its own.

dmesg -w| grep btrfs

Running 'dmesg -w| grep btrfs' now. Looks like it could take awhile. So I'll send that when it's finished and I've run the 'cat ... ' command.

Still want to know if there is some way to copy and paste these things.

Thanks

• You could use a terminal program that allows you to copy text to the clipboard so that you can paste it elsewhere.

Or if the command you are running doesn't require any user interaction you redirect it to a file that you can open in an editor later and copy and paste from there.

--

• ShellInabox is not available for OMV 5, so keep that in mind if you plan to upgrade.

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!