Samba password never works.

• Since i was testing a new install And I was not able to use my PC credential and above all I made the mistake to delete them since I thought I was not able to remember the password now no way I can access my share folder on a new or my old installation except if I use guest access of course.
    I even tried to create a new user in widow and use the same credential in OMV ,even that does not work.
    I went to a lot of old post in the forum to find a solution, but no joy so far.
    Maybe windows change something in the credential I hope some body can give me a step by step a way to protect and access my shared folders with SMB

• Offizieller Beitrag

In this How-To, the section tilted Domain Connected Windows 10 Clients / Servers does the same thing that editing Secpol.msc does, but uses the registry to do it. The various levels, (1 through 5) in the How-To, go progressively to earlier authentication levels as the number gets smaller, going to 1. (There's a guide to each level - 4 might have worked for you.)

Microsoft pushes security changes out on a regular basis, announced after the fact, making it difficult to keep up with what they're doing. And, given that there's a wide variety of states of security among existing Microsoft OS installs, the sum of it all makes it impossible to come up with a "one shot" fixes all document.

• In this How-To, the section tilted Domain Connected Windows 10 Clients / Servers does the same thing that editing Secpol.msc does, but uses the registry to do it. The various levels, (1 through 5) in the How-To, go progressively to earlier authentication levels as the number gets smaller, going to 1. (There's a guide to each level - 4 might have worked for you.)

Microsoft pushes security changes out on a regular basis, announced after the fact, making it difficult to keep up with what they're doing. And, given that there's a wide variety of states of security among existing Microsoft OS installs, the sum of it all makes it impossible to come up with a "one shot" fixes all document.

I did not know about this excellent How-To it would avoid me hours of headache and I am learning a lot by reading it
    Thank you.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It's my preference to keep data on a server where it's easier to insure that it's clean, backed up and it doesn't get corrupted over time. (I'm thinking of data that I plan to keep long term - 60 days or more.) This keeps the client OS foot print small, which makes it much easier to backup the client, with UrBackUp for example.
    When running an image backup on the client, data that is on the client is imaged as well which can result in huge image files. (Filters can be set, but that can be needlessly complicated, things may be missed, etc.) In the bottom line, backing up data (in an image file) that's already backup up on the server doesn't make sense to me. It's best to segregate it.

So, I'm already doing the rough equivalent of what you're suggesting. The only data I keep on a client is what is convenient for the short term, E-mail data, new pictures, and that sort of thing.

• Yesterday I was copying a file to OMV, in the middle I loose access right after explorer crashed. I was not able to get Task manager to run, so I restated the PC and now Samba refuse my password .
    What do you advise me to do

• Offizieller Beitrag

This sounds like something Windows related. (OMV wouldn't change share access permissions on the fly.)

At the OMV server - I might start with one share, and give "others" read/write access (on the shared folder) and allow guest access (in smb/cif share), just as a test. Then, since this share would be open, I might try to access the share with another PC as a cross check.

While it's speculation, it sounds like there was some event with the Windows box. I'd run chkdsk to see what that turns up. Then maybe run Windows system file checker.

• Very strange, I tried basically everything in the guide,even did run Windows system file checker.
    No change at the end I decided to install
    SSHFS for Windows since I was looking for a way to connect to OMV just after the install I recreated new map network drive and at this time widows samba was connecting.
    Maybe the installer modified something in the registry not sure any way working again.

• Offizieller Beitrag

OK, so I'm guessing you believe it's a Windows thing as well, with one particular client.

Have you tried this particular -> How-To. Specifically, the section titled: Domain Connected Windows 10 Clients / Servers

I'd go as high as possible, 5 should work, but it wouldn't hurt to test 3. (There's a guide link to the levels.)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!