Can't apply change to creating share - 2nd attempt to request help

• I am on version 4.1.26-1

I do not use docker, only SMB/CIFS

I created a share, and whenever I click apply, I get errors. The share was created, it works, but everytime I open the console, it shows the change still needing to be applied.

I get the following error:

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; systemctl restart 'sharedfolders-Storage.mount' 2>&1' with exit code '1': Assertion failed on job for sharedfolders-Storage.mount.

I get the following details

Error #0:OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; systemctl restart 'sharedfolders-Storage.mount' 2>&1' with exit code '1': Assertion failed on job for sharedfolders-Storage.mount. in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/process.inc:182Stack trace:#0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/systemctl.inc(86): OMV\System\Process->execute(Array, 1)#1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/systemctl.inc(160): OMV\System\SystemCtl->exec('restart', NULL, false)#2 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/module/sharedfolders.inc(66): OMV\System\SystemCtl->restart()#3 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(194): OMVModuleSharedfolders->startService()#4 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChanges(Array, Array)#5 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#6 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(149): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChanges', Array, Array)#7 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(565): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->OMV\Rpc\{closure}('/tmp/bgstatusQF...', '/tmp/bgoutputr4...')#8 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(159): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->execBgProc(Object(Closure))#9 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(213): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethodBg('applyChanges', Array, Array)#10 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChangesBg(Array, Array)#11 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#12 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChangesBg', Array, Array)#13 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Config', 'applyChangesBg', Array, Array, 1)#14 {main}

I have previously opened a thread about this, but others keep chiming in with their similar problems, which get diagnosed, while my initial problem has gone ignored or not helped.

I state again, I do not use docker, it is not enabled, it has nothing to do with this, as far as I can tell, I do not even know what docker is. I just want to create and use shares, something rather simple and basic that I thought this could handle.

If you are having a similar problem, please, not to be mean, but please open your own thread, so that as problems diverge we don't have a chain different problems for people to track.

Please, could I get some assistance with what should be a simple basic function of this?

• Please, could I get some assistance with what should be a simple basic function of this?

I don´t think that people are not willing to help you. But it is difficult to give an advice if someone has not already received the same error message as in your case.

In the past there were some strange problems with dying SD cards on Single Board Computers like RPI and so on. Or faked SD cards, USB sticks etc. which has less capacity as specified.

But if that does not apply in your case and you started with OMV first, you may want to consider reinstalling of the complete system.

That´s just the learning curve ;)

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von cabrio_leo () aus folgendem Grund: typo

• Is there anyone that has any technical knowledge of this? I've posted errors and logs, and can't even get any explanation as to what they are saying or mean. I see other threads getting replies all the time....what is going on here?

Why you all hatin'?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why you all hatin'?

That's a totally unnecessary statement, this is a user forum which benefits from the input of the developer and a moderator who looks after the addons/plugins both of whom are more than willing to assist.

As @cabrio_leo stated this could be an issue with the installation media that omv is attempting to write too, it simply fails or is beginning to fail and there is nothing that can be done other than replace the install media and start again.
    The above is one option, a second might be to simply delete the share in question but if I remember from your other post you had mapped this some how, which means you have to remove in reverse order.
    As with any computer software or hardware sometimes there is not a 'do this, do that' option to fix a problem and there is no one fix fits all.
    You could run fsck on the drive that omv is installed and see if that throws any errors or fixes any, presently there is no information about your system.
    Having tried to assist another user with an issue, who's system has been running for 2 years, we went through a number of 'try this, try that' scenarios only for him to point out himself (which I hadn't spotted) that there was an input output error from one of the command line options. That alone tells you that there is probably an issue with the install media and omv was unable to write the data, solution, replace the media and reinstall if you don't have a back up.

• I've yet to get a single applicable "try this" other than the suggestions to reinstall, which is a cop out response, especially when given without any troubleshooting.

This problem is occurring when trying to create a share. I've tried deleting the share and starting over multiple times, but everytime I end up with a working share, but a console that keeps saying the changes need to be applied, and then throws up the pasted errors anytime I try to apply. I can roll back, delete the created share, and start over...but the same just keeps happening.

When I see a forum full of people getting help, and people getting help all in the same thread I create asking for help, while my problem goes completely unignored without any troubleshooting attempts at all, how can I feel anything but frustration at this forum?

• Offizieller Beitrag

You haven’t really told the forum that much about your situation. We do know you are running the latest OMV4 version, and we have seen your error messages (which tells me about as much as it tells you). I’ve scanned back through your threads and I may have missed some of this but I don’t think that you have told the forum:

• What kind of machine you’re running: brand, model, processor, ram, power supply, or age.
    • What kind of boot media is in play here: type, brand, grade, size, source, or age. And how OMV was installed on it. Did you verify the integrity of the flash media (if that is what it is)? Did you do a checksum on the image you downloaded?
    • What kind of storage media on which you are trying to create your shares: hhd, ssd, usb, size, brand, or model.
    • How that media is connected to your server: usb, SATA, or rubber bands.
    • What kind of guides, if any you used when setting up your server.

It is not true that you haven’t gotten advice. You just haven’t liked what you have received.

• A fresh install is GOOD advice. Sure, it takes time to get back to where you are. Do you have any idea how many times most of us have had to reformat our ssd’s and start from scratch? @cabrio_leo said above “Its just part of the learning curve.” That is good advice.
    • He also told you about dying or fake sd cards and usb sticks. Did you verify your media before installing OMV on it? Did you perform a checksum on the image once you downloaded it? That’s good advice.
    • Here’s another one from me: do you have S.M.A.R.T. installed and testing your data disk? Check the health of your data disk.

Here’s some good advice:

• Read this Getting Started with OMV
    • Search the googles on fake and dying flash media (if that is what you are booting from) and how to test for it.
    • Stop calling these people haters. They are really nice people.

I really do hope you find your solution.

• When I see a forum full of people getting help, and people getting help all in the same thread I create asking for help, while my problem goes completely unignored without any troubleshooting attempts at all

As can be seen from the answers to your thread, that's just not true. If you follow the forum carefully, you will see that there are many threads with a low number of answers. Further argumentation I consider unfortunately useless is your case.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von cabrio_leo ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've yet to get a single applicable "try this" other than the suggestions to reinstall, which is a cop out response, especially when given without any troubleshooting.

Whatever you are using to dig yourself a hole you'll need something bigger, I have given you two possible 'try this' will this fix the problem, no but it may be useful to further resolve it.

Let me explain the problem, Assertion failed on job for sharedfolders-Storage.mount. this means that for some reason it has failed to create the mount point Storage in sharedfolders. Hint: Top right hand corner of forum; Search -> Assertion failed on job sharedfolders

If you think that a reinstall is a 'cop out response' have a look at your previous thread and here a reinstall is not a cop out as that link suggests it's a solution, this is not like installing W10. If this is a newly created OMV the time taken to re install and set up would be minuscule in comparison to that of an MS OS.

I've tried deleting the share and starting over multiple times, but everytime I end up with a working share, but a console that keeps saying the changes need to be applied, and then throws up the pasted errors anytime I try to apply.

Ok, have a look at this from post 5 down whilst this is on a VM the problem is the same.

Have you tried option 2, obviously not.

When I see a forum full of people getting help, and people getting help all in the same thread I create asking for help, while my problem goes completely unignored without any troubleshooting attempts at all, how can I feel anything but frustration at this forum?

At this rate you're definitely going to need a bigger digger for the hole :)

• You haven’t really told the forum that much about your situation. We do know you are running the latest OMV4 version, and we have seen your error messages (which tells me about as much as it tells you). I’ve scanned back through your threads and I may have missed some of this but I don’t think that you have told the forum:

• What kind of machine you’re running: brand, model, processor, ram, power supply, or age.
    • What kind of boot media is in play here: type, brand, grade, size, source, or age. And how OMV was installed on it. Did you verify the integrity of the flash media (if that is what it is)? Did you do a checksum on the image you downloaded?
    • What kind of storage media on which you are trying to create your shares: hhd, ssd, usb, size, brand, or model.
    • How that media is connected to your server: usb, SATA, or rubber bands.
    • What kind of guides, if any you used when setting up your server.

It is not true that you haven’t gotten advice. You just haven’t liked what you have received.

• A fresh install is GOOD advice. Sure, it takes time to get back to where you are. Do you have any idea how many times most of us have had to reformat our ssd’s and start from scratch? @cabrio_leo said above “Its just part of the learning curve.” That is good advice.
    • He also told you about dying or fake sd cards and usb sticks. Did you verify your media before installing OMV on it? Did you perform a checksum on the image once you downloaded it? That’s good advice.
    • Here’s another one from me: do you have S.M.A.R.T. installed and testing your data disk? Check the health of your data disk.

Here’s some good advice:

• Read this Getting Started with OMV
    • Search the googles on fake and dying flash media (if that is what you are booting from) and how to test for it.
    • Stop calling these people haters. They are really nice people.

I really do hope you find your solution.

1. ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI X16 ATX AMD Motherboard, AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester Dual-Core 2.0 GHz Socket 939 89W ADA3800DAA5BV Processor - OEM, G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F1-3200PHU2-2GBNS, Corsair CX Series 650 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Modular Power Supply (CP-9020103-NA)
    I'm maxed out at 4GB of RAM, which has been thoroughly tested. I admit, not the latest and greatest, but it was a killer XP/7 machine in it's time, and all the hardware has served me well.

2. Toshiba 256GB SSD. Not sure the mileage on it, but I'd expect behavior from a failing hard drive to be more erratic than this. Used a usb stick I trust for the install, did a checksum on the image I downloaded.

3. RAID 5 on 3 of Seagate IronWolf 8TB NAS Internal Hard Drive HDD – 3.5 Inch SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM 256MB Cache for RAID Network Attached Storage – Frustration Free Packaging (ST8000VN0022).

Created 2 shares with no problem. Creating the 3rd share is where I"m now having a problem. It has created, it is working fine, just getting stuck on this apply button on the admin console that is producing the posted errors.

4. SATA. No rubber bands, everything screwed solidly in place.

5. Followed the OMV website's installation instructions. It was rather straightforward, everything had been working fine up to this point

1. An OS that requires a fresh install a few months in, and everyone is just resigned that you just need to reinstall every few months, is not a good system. We aren't living in the Windows 95 era anymore. I learned at one point, at least in the Windows world, the difference between those that really know what they're doing and those that don't....there are those that do 15 minutes of troubleshooting and an reinstall, and those that will tell you how this is supposed to work, how to trace it, and find the configuration, registry setting, program....the cause for the problem, and actually fix it. This is not a put down, I say this as someone that has done many Windows installs, and has strived over the years for less of those. Reinstalling to fix a problem teaches you nothing, except to get more familiar with the install process. When you dig in and find the cause, you learned something. It may take longer than the reinstall, but in the long term, the value of learning these things will pay off.

2. I am quite familiar with fake sd cards, it's why I insist on only buying sd cards from a physical store.

3. Will check on that....I know I've tried running something that was supposed to check the health of the disk...I've not come up with any evidence of an unhealthy disk up to this point.

1. Read it

2. Quite familiar with it

3. Fair enough.

• I've read that thread. You reference an option 2, yet there is not anything in that thread labeled as options. I'm not following what is going on in there.

Could I please get a little more clarity as to what exactly it is you suggest I do?

• Ok....have no idea how this happen, or what fixed it....but I hate threads that end with "I'm good, yo. Bye". That stuff stays on the internet forever, clogging up future google searches.

Ok, so my raid's name is storage. Apparently at some point in time I created a share called Storage. Not really remembering that clearly now. Just guessing. But I'm guessing I created a share called Storage, changed my mind, and instead created different shares. So listed under my shares was still a share called Storage that has No under Referenced.

Since my RAID is called Storage, I don't want to just delete something called Storage, especially when I don't remember why it's there.

But....perhaps somehow something got messed up with that share? Or I tried to delete it at some point? I don't know, don't remember, but something happened.

So....is that causing the problem? Because, it seems, the change I made, completed fine. Does it think something else is pending to complete?

Or maybe I accidentally set something else when creating my share, and it was trying to apply 2 things?

I don't know, but I'm thinking the error wasn't in reference to the share I was trying to create/successfully created.

So, I deleted the Storage share, clicked apply....no errors.

The gut feelings I was getting was something incomplete was dangling out there that needed to be completed, and so deleting a share that's not in use that's hanging out there with a No under referenced just felt to me like the out of place dangler that was getting in the way.

Your comments all steered me towards the right discovery. Thanks.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!