Docker Compose Fails on Nanopi M4 and OMV5

• OMV 5.x (beta)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Docker Compose Fails on Nanopi M4 and OMV5

I have been trying to install Plex using docker compose according to @macom‘s [How-To] on a NanoPi M4 and OMV5. My docker-compose.yml file fails to deploy when I send the command docker-compose up -d. I get the response /usr/local/bin/docker-compose: line 1: Not: command not found. I know docker-compose is installed because I just ran apt install docker-compose which returns that the current version is already installed. Here’s a copy of my yml file:

Source Code

1. ---
      2. version: "2"
      3. services:
      4. plex:
      5. image: linuxserver/plex
      6. container_name: plex
      7. network_mode: host
      8. environment:
      9. - PUID=1001
      10. - PGID=100
      11. - VERSION=public
      12. volumes:
      13. - /srv/dev-disk-by-label-m4disk1/AppData/Plex:/config
      14. - /srv/dev-disk-by-label-m4disk1/AppData/Transcode:/transcode
      15. - /srv/dev-disk-by-label-m4disk1/Media/Movies:/Movies
      16. - /srv/dev-disk-by-label-m4disk1/Media/TV:/TV
      17. - /srv/dev-disk-by-label-m4disk1/Media/Music:/Music
      18. - /srv/dev-disk-by-label-m4disk1/Media/Photos:/Photos
      19. - /srv/dev-disk-by-label-m4disk1/Media/Videos:/Videos
      20. restart: unless-stopped
      Display All
      Can anyone please help with this?
      Retired. I love to garden and mess with computers. The more I mess with both the less I know about either.
      OMV 4.1.27-1 on a pair of Odroid hc2's w/ 4TB WD Blue. Running Nextcloud, Plex, & Heimdall - and a Raspberry Pi 3 running Pi-hole.
      Testing OMV 5.0.14-1 beta on an Odroid H2, HP dx2400, and Nanopi M4.
    • Agricola wrote:

Can anyone please help with this?
      I never noticed this before but docker-compose only runs on 64 bit x86 systems. No way to fix this unless docker start supporting arm systems. I will improve omv-extras to only download on appropriate systems.
      omv 5.0.14 usul | 64 bit | 5.0 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.1.4
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • Well I guess that solves my problem...sort of.

That has been the frustrating thing for me because docker-compose has worked beautifully for me on an Odroid H2 which has an Intel processor in it.

Is that also why Cockpit refuses to install on the NanoPi M4? It works perfectly on the H2 and an old HP Compaq?

Now to figure out how to create a custom bridge network on the M4 using Portainer (or command line) because getting Nextcloud set up on the NanoPi M4 (OMV5) has been my end game. Plex in Portainer is a breeze. I’ll start a fresh thread for that.

@ryecoaaron thanks for looking into this and the (sad) solution.
      Retired. I love to garden and mess with computers. The more I mess with both the less I know about either.
      OMV 4.1.27-1 on a pair of Odroid hc2's w/ 4TB WD Blue. Running Nextcloud, Plex, & Heimdall - and a Raspberry Pi 3 running Pi-hole.
    • Agricola wrote:

Is that also why Cockpit refuses to install on the NanoPi M4
      cockpit works on arm boards but the kvm (machine) packages are not installed since they don't work.

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
    • @ryecoaaron is there a way to install Cockpit without the kvm modules? I’ve seen instances of it on arm boards on the web but never could figure out how to install it with OMV5.

There are instructions for Jessie and Stretch here but nothing about Buster. I’ll keep looking.

Or This site where it shows a bunch of screenshots and gives these two lines:
      apt -y install Cockpit
      systemctl enable cockpit.socket

The post was edited 3 times, last by Agricola ().

• macom wrote:

How does one check this?
      Look at the downloads available - github.com/docker/compose/releases/tag/1.24.1

Agricola wrote:

is there a way to install Cockpit without the kvm modules? I’ve seen instances of it on arm boards on the web but never could figure out how to install it with OMV5.
      Click the Cockpit install button in omv-extras.

• I have tried that several times and it always fails. Returns something about that kvm module being not available. I’m away from my computer right now so I don’t recall the exact response.
    • Agricola wrote:

I have tried that several times and it always fails. Returns something about that kvm module being not available. I’m away from my computer right now so I don’t recall the exact response.
      The script is looking for arm in the architecture. Your nanopim4 must be aarch64. I will have to fix the script again.

• macom wrote:

But it works on my ancient BananaPi
      What version? The official docker release doesn't support arm. I guess there is a version in python pip but that is a pain and it has to build a bunch of stuff.

• macom wrote:

docker-compose 1.8.0-2
      I guess I could just use the Debian-maintained package since it seems to work on arm. I think I would still use the download on x86_64 though.

• macom wrote:

Alternative would be to uninstall and install from CLI with apt-get?
      omv-extras 5.1.4 installs from debian repo on all systems. x86_64 will still download the newer version from github. Since /usr/local/bin is before /usr/bin in the default path, just using the docker-compose command will use the newer version.

• macom wrote:

Alternative would be to uninstall and install from CLI with apt-get
      There is a arm64 version of the Buster distro of Docker Here and the first seven hits when I search "Install Docker on Debian Buster" look doable. But questions loom? what will this do to OMV-Extras? Hey, I don't have any data on the machine. What the heck. I'm sure it is more complicated than I am seeing.

Any advice?
    • Agricola wrote:

But questions loom? what will this do to OMV-Extras?
      I don't understand what the problem is now. Clicking the Install Docker button in omv-extras would install docker on all systems. It just wasn't installing docker-compose correctly until 5.1.4. What problem are you having?

• I’m sorry. I need to get on my computer and see but as far as I know Portainer works and Cockpit works now but docker compose and docker network does not. I thought that was what you were talking about in the thread just above with @Morlan. I’m trying by hook or by crook to get Nextcloud/Letsencrypt working on the M4 in OMV5, via either compose or a custom network. I have it on an Odroid H2 (amd64) but I’m not (never?) content.

I’ll go back and see. When I said “Works!” I meant Cockpit installs from OMV-Extras. The terminal works great and the docker image download is wonderful, allowing me to download multiple images in succession without having to wait for each completion. I still prefer Portainer for building containers, but compose via command line on the H2 is so slick and (I’m too old to use this word) cool. I want it on the M4.