OMV+KVM= basically unRaid?

• hi everyone,

As i'm building my weird multipurpose NAS, i'm trying to figure out how to do it best , the thing i'm trying to achieve is :

virtualize W10 over a linux NAS for reliable file vault whose spare power can be used by an arcade cabinet

i know, some guru swill ask "why not just run the arcade cabinet in linux anyway?" and the answer is teknoparrot, Supermodel, and preconfigured portable Launchbox... so maybe one day i'll make another build that's limited to MAME and Retroarch but for now i wanna have the choice :)

So LTT has achieved this a few times with unRAID and the process appears to be pretty streamlined and user friendly, forwarding the GPU and inputs to the VM, assigning cores, and run the thing ...
    but unRAID has this big price tag and annoying USB-stick licensing mess.... real-time parity is cool tho

My understanding is that unRAID uses KVM, is it right? then can't OMV also use KVM the same way?
    My google search gives me lots of result about using PROXMOX instead and virtualizing both OMV and Windows separately but i don't know, is it worth adding another hypervisor? what would be the best approach? maybe even another one?!

halp!

• Offizieller Beitrag

My understanding is that unRAID uses KVM, is it right? then can't OMV also use KVM the same way?
    My google search gives me lots of result about using PROXMOX instead and virtualizing both OMV and Windows separately but i don't know, is it worth adding another hypervisor? what would be the best approach? maybe even another one?!

No idea what unraid uses but proxmox is kvm. I virtualize OMV on proxmox myself. Works very well.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

why do you HAVE to do this?

Where did you read that you HAVE to do this? This is just what I recommend. OMV is just a web interface running on a Debian install. Of course you can run KVM on it. Hence why omv-extras can install cockpit in OMV 5.x.

can't you use KVM from OMV itself after installing cockpit ?

Yep.

what are the caveats for doing it this way?

KVM requires some network setup that you can't setup from the OMV web interface.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Where did you read that you HAVE to do this?

i didn't see it spelled out directly, but i infered it from seeing all guides, tutorials and advices omitting this whole idea in favor of adding a whole other layer of complexity through proxmox ...

perhaps the concensus applies to OMV 4 since the 5 is still beta and that's the reason why ?

looks like i have some more research ahead of me, but if i can have everything run on top of OMV without having to spend whole days editing config files by hand, i'll be golden :3

• KVM is in the linux kernel, so you can run it on any linux distro with a modern kernel. What separates Proxmox is that it has a nice web UI to manage it because it is designed as a hypervisor. You can have the same functionality on other distros but will need to use the command line to create and manage your VM's unless you have a DE installed in which case you can use virt-manager. (maybe cockpit provides this capability? I haven't played with it enough)

• Offizieller Beitrag

perhaps the concensus applies to OMV 4 since the 5 is still beta and that's the reason why ?

Nope. Just opinions.

• okay i have successfully installed Cockpit and from there i have a bunch of bookmarks about pci passthrough tutorials and so on ...

i'm looking forward in making it all work fine, but even though i like OMV so far, it seems like it'll be a tough work so i might have a dumb question here and there on the way, hope you won't mind :D

so far i'm set with OMV 4 with Snapraid + UnionF, which does work but i got some strange behavior sometimes (doesn't start filling another drive when one is full, and then gives a transfer error ?! ) next only gotta run some W10 LTSC on the top of that and i'll be golden!

i almost considered buying unraid, fiew :D

• i almost considered buying unraid, fiew :D

Advantage of UnRaid

1. UnRaid shine by supporting out of the box PCI Passthrough, so if you want to play video game on your Windows VM and use keyboard, mouse, GPU and screen it will be pretty easy to do at one condition; you have the right motherboard and the right GPU. Another great example is to use your GPU with a Kodi container.

- Of course KVM support PCI Passthrough, it is just more command line to do than with UnRaid.

2. UnRaid don't use RAID; it make a JBOD (just a bunch of disk) with a parity; (I don't really know here) but it sounds pretty much like SnapRaid proposed by OMV.

3. UnRaid have a pretty Foolproof Docker Interface management; (even easier than Portainer) it is easy to share data through different containers, such as if you download movie with qBittorrent then being able to access them via Kodi or Plex is easy.

- That said, if you understand the PGID and PUID concept and draft a plan of which data goes where for which services, you will be good.

Disadvantage of UnRaid

- Pay per physical disk

- Support in the forum is not that great, a lot of people ask question, few answers

- Dedicated USB ThumbDrive for the installation (Yes, if I understood well, your license is link to a MD5 based on the size of your USB Drive)

Now You could install OMV on a USB ThumbDrive and use these plugins

- SnapRaid: to manage your storage like UnRaid

- FlashMemory: since UnRaid mount his system in memory

- KVM: to make VM

- Docker: to make Container

- Cockpit: to manage everything under one interface; storage, VM, Container, …

My Opinion with UnRaid (2017)

Personally, I only use UnRaid for a trial a while ago, then I was installing KVM on OMV, then I decided to use Proxmox and make a VM for OMV and I stick to that like ryecoaaron suggested. The main advantage is to keep Proxmox and OMV as simple as it is and without any trans-configuration. It makes it easier to migrate and/or to reinstall (in case).

-----

Advantage of OMV on Proxmox

- Keep it Simple

- Good Backup system

Disadvantage

- Multiple WebUI

- Reserve Memory specificly for OMV (such as I have 10TB of storage (1 GB of Ram per TB of storage is recommended (at least with zfs))

-----

Advantage of OMV Barebone

- Share all the memory with the VM and the container

- Remove LXC

- Reduce to 1 or 2 webui interface

- Easier to setup a UPS on your host (omv-ups)

-

Disadvantage

- a little of command line at the beginning (bridge, pci-passthrough, ...)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!