Migration from Flash drive to NVMe drive and SSD cache question.

• First time OMV user and linux virgin :whistling: I'd like to move the installation from the flash drive to an NVMe SSD that I have. Can this be done, or would a cheap, small capacity SATA SSD be a better bet? I have plenty of SATA ports free and a spare NVME port.

Do all the storage drives have to be the same type/size/brand etc or can OMV use a mix of different ones?

Finally, SSD cache, is this beneficial on a home NAS setup? It will be streaming music, blu ray rips (no Plex and not transcoding, just streaming), mpeg movies and will have a few TB of photos. Likelihood of being accessed by more than one person at a time is small, but that may change as my daughter grows up!

OMV Version 5.0.5 (Don't think it's a beta as the forum software suggests up there^^)
    128GB Patriot rage USB 3 drive (this is where the install is going for now)
    32GB Samsung USB 3 drive for the install iso, made with etcher
    Gigabyte z390 mini itx board
    16GB RAM
    8400T processor, using the onboard graphics
    2x 4TB IronWolf drives, will be 3 next week, hopefully

Much appreciated, thanks :)

• Got this while trying to post this thread. If any admin are interested.

Fatal error: An error occured. Sorry.
    Information:

ID: b16806dfee4ab38edee713c2ba7beb535aa1e869
    Please send the ID above to the site administrator.
    The error message can be looked up at “ACP » Logs » Errors”.

• Hello,

I was about to post about my problems and luckly read about yours. I will mention briefly about my experience.

I have a limited budget and want to have docker capability, and docker stuff is only available in qnap, synology only in high end series, I have decided to buy a second hand server. I have finally purchased a second hand dell t20 with 16 gb. ram, one 2tb, two 1tb disks. Since the machine only have four SATA connection and I want all of SATA connections to use for data disk, I stupidly bought a pci-e adapter for nvme drive without checking if dell t20 bios allows booting from a pci-e mass storage.

Unfortunately I learned that by experience this is not possible. After searching through internet, a post gave me an idea. I managed to install manjaro linux installing /boot and /boot/efi on a USB stick and root "/" to nvme drive that exists on PCI-e slot. After being able to do this, I installed debian 10 (netinstall) with the same configuration and later install openmediavault on top of it (of course after several tries).

Although with this hack I partially achieved my goal, I am not quite sure about stability of this setup, and I am afraid it may break with updates etc. Since I will be depending on this machine for my critical data, I am not sure about fully committing this setup.

I do not know cache stuff. I have seen PCI-e cards with several nvme slots in them. I guess you can use them as caches, but booting from directly nvme has to have bios support. Some high end servers have built in m.2 slots (nvme probably not supported yet) in their motherboards.

You will need nvme to SATA converter, then loose a SATA connection and nvme will be degraded to SATA SSD.

My last comment, check also the PCI card slots capabilities in addition to bios. For example dell t20 only one PCI-e gen 3 capable slot.

• That happens from time to time. In that case wait for about 30 seconds and then go back to the forum´s main page and mostly you will see that your post was successfull.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!