Cannot connect to Windows 10 in VirtualBox

• I would like to run Windows 10 in a virtual machine. Since I'm new to virtual machines, I followed Techno Dad Life's tutorial on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me7McYocVM0. Only with Windows 10 64bit, instead of Ubuntu.
    This seems to work fine, I installed VirtualBox, followed the steps in the video and have started the VM. In the preview window I can see the first screen of the Windows installation. See attachment 1.

However, I cannot connect to the machine. When I click on the server port, as shown in the video, and click the resulting .rdp file, an error message pops up after a few seconds. See attachment 2.
    I tried VNC client, but this tells me 'The connection was refused by the computer'.

I am probably forgetting something or making a mistake somewhere. Would be very thankful for any tips, hints or outright manuals :/

Bert-Jan

• Offizieller Beitrag

Would be very thankful for any tips, hints or outright manuals

This was the problem I had when I used VB, from the command line of OMV run VBoxManage extpackuninstall VNC after that reboot OMV and you should be able use to use RDP.
    Technically this should not be necessary but it was the only way I could get RDP to work.

Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?

OMV 6x amd64 running on an HP N54L Microserver

• @Nefertitii; Thanks for the info. Although access to shares wasn't t he problem in this case, I do struggle with that on a Windows laptop from a friend. I'll check out the HOWTO.

@geaves; Thanks, but that didn't work for me. Problem persisted. After some more tries I (finally..) noticed that the VM had me connect to it at 127.0.0.1. I tried replacing that IP address by the local IP address of the OMV server en that worked. Probably obvious in hindsight.. I'm new to VM's :)

So; solved. Although not yet as useful as I'd hoped, until now. The VM is slooooow, which should not surprise me that much, since it is now running on mechanical HDD's, something I haven't done with OS's for years. And I do have some issues with the mouse, but I'm still checking that out.

Thanks for both your help!

• So; solved. Although not yet as useful as I'd hoped, until now. The VM is slooooow, which should not surprise me that much, since it is now running on mechanical HDD's, something I haven't done with OS's for years. And I do have some issues with the mouse, but I'm still checking that out.

Thanks for both your help!

When solved please mark it as solved ;)

[LibreELEC @ 2x RPi3, CoreELEC @ S12 Octa Core]

[ NAS OMV 5.xx (Usul) @ NanoPI M4 ]

[ Nextcloud 18.0.4 @ ODROID C2 ]

[ Motioneye @ RPi4]

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!