all fine but... the annoying postfix/omv

• Hello,
    my omv 4.1.26-1 running fine but...
    i prefer to use postfixadmin -> http://postfixadmin.sourceforge.net for postfix.
    I agree that omv is not and will never be a full MTA config system - so it shoud be possible to (1) disable the postfix config option in omv and using simple mail command, independend of the MTA ... postfix/exim/sendmail/...
    The additional and optional choice may be, (2) omv using the "postconf" command to manage/modify postfix configs as designed by postfix
    or (3) do config postfix in a optional Step selected by Hand or even ask if it shoud do this...

But not write postfix configs all Time like a Bulldozer!

IMHO sending by an MTA using mail command like mdadm or smartd do... and configuring an MTA by writing MTA blind configs ... are 2 totaly different and independend Tasks. Shure, both Steps are nessesary to send a mail in a simple setup but there is no Reason to bundle them in this inflexible way.

Thank you
    best regards

Equipment: a few Computers, lot's of waste heat, little time and a Pile of work.

When solving problems, dig at the root instead of hacking at the leaves.

• Offizieller Beitrag

But not write postfix configs all Time like a Bulldozer!

That is the whole concept of OMV. It maintains all the configs it touches completely.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hello ryecoaaron,
    in most cases this concept working well.., i agree.
    But in the postfix environment this is a semigood idea.
    And it is not the only way to do that (bulldozern) as described (1,2,3).
    Noboddy expect all possible features on all possible Services in omv but we can chose to install a Service/Plugin or not (and do it by Hand). On Postfix, we have no choice. Is that a good Concept?
    I have doubts.

Thank you
    best regards

Equipment: a few Computers, lot's of waste heat, little time and a Pile of work.

• Additionaly one more (4) way to circumvent Problems with Postfix configs (and some others like Samba).
    In some Tabs (pxe in dnsmasq tab at the bottom as example) there is a free Textfield for own Arguments.
    This will help on postfix and others too.

my Arguments:
    pxe-prompt="Choose:"
    pxe-service=x86PC, "Boot local Disk", 0
    pxe-service=x86PC,"PXE Boot-Server",/pxelinux.0,192.168.x.13
    pxe-service=x86PC,"Deployment Server",/pxelinux.0,192.168.x.101

Like this for other Tabs and we can do own configs. Its so easy to do it better...

• If omv want to be master, it should also behave like a master.
    i am happy with omv as i wrote.
    Thank youbest regards

• Offizieller Beitrag

But in the postfix environment this is a semigood idea.

I work with a lot of vendor appliances (hardware and virtualized) where you don't get to specify anything about how it sends mail. For 99.9% of OMV users, postfix is fine. Impossible to satisfy all users. You could also run the mail program of your choice on a different system or even a docker (use macvlan to avoid port conflict) with your choice of mail program and forward OMV emails to that docker.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Hello,
    ok now we talk about an extra Postfix options Field (like in samba or dnsmaq) versus virtualized Docker Mailserver Image?
    ...wow...
    this is a real unique way to do simple jobs easy....

lets stop discussion here... we are turning in circles.
    i think its easier to setup a dumb raspi to do that mailserver job in a convient way than messing up with omv.

Thank you
    best regards

• Offizieller Beitrag

ok now we talk about an extra Postfix options Field (like in samba or dnsmaq) versus virtualized Docker Mailserver Image?
    ...wow...
    this is a real unique way to do simple jobs easy....

I only suggested that because engineering something to work for everyone is close to impossible. And I know from supporting OMV, that extra options boxes cause more problems than they fix. I realize it was not easy but for the number of people who need this (just you in all the years I've been around OMV), it is better than changing OMV. It was just a suggestion... Jeez...

lets stop discussion here... we are turning in circles.
    i think its easier to setup a dumb raspi to do that mailserver job in a convient way than messing up with omv.

Please. You honestly setting up an rpi is easier than spinning up a docker container (never said an entire mail server by the way)? I could do it in less time than you could even write the SD card. I will stop suggesting alternatives (which is all I can do since I'm not an OMV developer).....

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!