second hand dell t20 with 16 gb. ram, one 2tb, two 1tb disks. Since the
    machine only have four SATA connection and I want all of SATA
    connections to use for data disk, I stupidly bought a pci-e adapter for
    nvme drive without checking if dell t20 bios allows booting from a pci-e
    mass storage.

Unfortunately I learned that by experience this is not possible. After
    searching through internet, a post gave me an idea. I managed to install
    manjaro linux installing /boot and /boot/efi on a USB stick and root
    "/" to nvme drive that exists on PCI-e slot.

After being able to do this, I tried installing OMV 5.0.5 directly, but OMV 5.0.5 installer froze could not reach to hostname configuration screen. I tried to install OMV 4 but maybe because of my infamiliarity with debian installer, the installer did not let me to use USB stick to use as /boot, /boot/efi, so installed directly to the nvme drive from which I could not boot.

I later installed debian 10 (netinstall) in expert mode with the same configuration and
    later install openmediavault on top of it (of course after several tries).

Although with this hack I partially achieved my goal, I am not quite
    sure about stability of this setup, and I am afraid it may break with
    updates etc. Since I will be depending on this machine for my daily/critical
    data, I am not sure about fully committing this setup.

I have currently following problems (that I am aware of)

During installation I activated backports without thinking about much. Now every apt-get upgrade wants to install linux-image-5.2.0-0.bpo.3-amd64. But upgrade fails. Probably this affects omv and operations on omvextra also give errors...

sudo apt-get upgrade
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Calculating upgrade... Done
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
    linux-image-5.2.0-0.bpo.3-amd64
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    1 not fully installed or removed.
    After this operation, 273 MB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
    (Reading database ... 67304 files and directories currently installed.)
    Removing linux-image-5.2.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 (5.2.17-1~bpo10+1) ...
    /etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs-tools:
    update-initramfs: Deleting /boot/initrd.img-5.2.0-0.bpo.3-amd64
    /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-update-grub:
    /usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig: 38: /etc/default/grub: function: not found
    run-parts: /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-update-grub exited with return code 127
    dpkg: error processing package linux-image-5.2.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 (--remove):
    installed linux-image-5.2.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 package post-removal script subprocess returned error exit status 1
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    linux-image-5.2.0-0.bpo.3-amd64
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

clicking kernel section of omvextras

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; grep GRUB_DEFAULT= /etc/default/grub' with exit code '1':
    Error #0:OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; grep GRUB_DEFAULT= /etc/default/grub' with exit code '1': in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/process.inc:182Stack trace:#0 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/omvextras.inc(173): OMV\System\Process->execute(Array)#1 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceOmvExtras->getKernel(NULL, Array)#2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('getKernel', NULL, Array)#4 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('OmvExtras', 'getKernel', NULL, Array, 1)#5 {main}

Any insight, help much appreciated.

I have to make lots tweak to base debian netinstall to able to make it usable for me, since I have not been using debian for more than 10 years, I had difficulty caching up, apt thing, network management etc. If possible, I prefer not to install the system from scratch which I have already did a couple of times for successfull installation.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I later installed debian 10 (netinstall) in expert mode with the same configuration and
    later install openmediavault on top of it (of course after several tries).

Although with this hack I partially achieved my goal, I am not quite
    sure about stability of this setup, and I am afraid it may break with
    updates etc.

This is very common to have boot files on one filesystem and root on another drive. I work with thousands of systems like this. Updates won't care about the filesystem layout since they don't typically look at the filesystem mount points.

During installation I activated backports without thinking about much.

backports are enabled by default on OMV.

Now every apt-get upgrade wants to install linux-image-5.2.0-0.bpo.3-amd64. But upgrade fails. Probably this affects omv and operations on omvextra also give errors...

Looks like grub is improperly installed. What is the output of: dpkg -l | grep grub

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hello

Thank you for all the responses. The output of the commad  dpkg -l | grep grub  is below. While writing this, I remembered that something, I did that affect grub. I tried to activate zswap so I tried to add kernel paramater to the zswap.enabled=1 via /etc/default/grub GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT parameter and issued the command
    grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg. Probably this messed things up. I have just seen and read the comments below your post. I wonder, is it possible to pass kernel parameters from web interface

Code
    ii  grub-common                     2.02+dfsg1-20                       amd64        GRand Unified Bootloader (common files)
    ii  grub-efi-amd64                  2.02+dfsg1-20                       amd64        GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (EFI-AMD64 version)
    ii  grub-efi-amd64-bin              2.02+dfsg1-20                       amd64        GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (EFI-AMD64 modules)
    ii  grub-efi-amd64-signed           1+2.02+dfsg1+20                     amd64        GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (amd64 UEFI signed by Debian)
    ii  grub2-common                    2.02+dfsg1-20                       amd64        GRand Unified Bootloader (common files for version 2)

Another question : I wonder, if I can directly install OMV 5 via OMV boot stick with different /boot, /boot/efi partitions.

• Offizieller Beitrag

is it possible to pass kernel parameters from web interface

No.

Probably this messed things up.

Good chance. You should have just run update-grub

I wonder, if I can directly install OMV 5 via OMV boot stick with different /boot, /boot/efi partitions.

Nope. Why don't you just install OMV 5 on the usb stick? nvme is a waste to run the OS on. If you want to put docker containers on it, you can specify a different path.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I tried now update-grub, I receive

/usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig: 38: /etc/default/grub: function: not found error. Do I need to install again?

I am suprised about your comment, nvme is a waste to run OS. I wanted OS to be fast. I could have bought SATA3 pci-e card to increase the sata ports and along with a reliable SSD. I have not been able to find a reputable and affordable sata3 pci-e adapter card in my country and the high end ones were expensive. Running OS from USB, I presumed very slow, and there is USB wear thing. I thought SSD/Nvme has more expected life time than USB. NVM adapter, along with 128gb NVME was cheaper than SATA3 adapter card. Anyhow, I am not expert on this thing. These were my reasoning.

• Offizieller Beitrag

/etc/default/grub: function: not found error. Do I need to install again?

No. You need to fix the bad change that you made.

I am suprised about your comment, nvme is a waste to run OS. I wanted OS to be fast. I could have bought SATA3 pci-e card to increase the sata ports and along with a reliable SSD. I have not been able to find a reputable and affordable sata3 pci-e adapter card in my country and the high end ones were expensive. Running OS from USB, I presumed very slow, and there is USB wear thing. I thought SSD/Nvme has more expected life time than USB. NVM adapter, along with 128gb NVME was cheaper than SATA3 adapter card. Anyhow, I am not expert on this thing. These were my reasoning.

The OS does very little on OMV. nvme will speed up the web interface a little but not enough to justify the use. If you use a usb stick and install the flashmemory plugin as recommended, the things the write to the disk the most will be written to ram which is much faster than even nvme. It also prolongs the life of the usb stick. I have a system running on a usb stick for four years.

• I just tried to reinstall just for the sake of trying OMV 5.0.5 installer again. It stuck at the very same point. I would like to bring this to the attention. It does not reach to the point where hostname is asked.

Later I recovered from the mess I, myself, created because of being illiterate of debian, by copying
    /usr/share/grub/default/grub to /etc/default/grub as someone mentioned in a forum and rebuilding grub with update-grub as you pointed out.

Thank you for the advice, comments and the solution. I have a few more question. I appreciate your comments about them.

Is it possible to go for expert/advance mode in omv installer? I have checked the advanced options only saw memory testing.

I have zswap activated on a swapfile on nvme root partition. Does it conflict with folder2ram plugin (flashmemory)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!