Noob Guide to Enabling FTP Server and Using Filezilla Client (Remote Use)

• I had a really hard time getting FTP working, ran into several errors just trying to enable it, and had several rejections when trying to connect, and permission denied when trying to transfer files. Now everything is working, so I wanted to create a step-by-step guide for anyone looking to enable FTP, specifically the secure kind (SFTP) where SSL/TLS connections are enabled.

1. Services > FTP
    Enable: Toggle on
    Port: 21 (or port of your choice; I suggest a different port)
    Passive FTP: Toggle on
    Passive FTP Use the following port range: you can leave this alone, or you can change to 14100-14110 for example
    Click Save, then Apply

If you have trouble applying the settings (you get an error), try doing one thing at a time and applying it. For example, Enable FTP with the toggle first, then save, then apply. Then make your next change, then save, then apply. I had to do this for one of my devices.

2. System > Certificates > SSL > Add
    Leave everything as default, but add whatever info you want, such as Organization name, country, email, etc. Click Save, then Apply.

3. Services > FTP > SSL/TLS
    Enable: Toggle on Enable SSL/TLS connections
    Certificate: Choose your newly created certificate from the drop-down list. Click Save, then Apply.

4. Access Rights Management > Shared Folders
    Either create a Shared Folder (and make sure that you choose "Everyone: Read/Write" for permissions), or choose an existing one. Go to Privileges and ensure that your username is checked off. If you haven't created a username yet, first go to Access Rights Management > User, and create a username there. But you probably already have one.

5. Services > FTP > Shares > Add
    Click on the drop-down list to choose your Shared Folder. Click Save, then Apply.

6. Now you need to access your router for port forwarding. If you need help for your particular router, check out the Port Forward website and choose your router from there. I have a router flashed with Advanced Tomato, so for me, it's Port Forwarding > Basic and then for a TCP port, I would add the main port that was added under Step 1 (example, 21) under Int Port. Under "Internal Address," you're going to put the internal IP you use to access the OMV gateway (ie: 192.168.1.4).
    Add another TCP port forward with your passive ports (example, 14100-14110) under Int Port (the whole range in there), and also the internal address. Make sure to Add/Save everything.

7. Download and install Filezilla.
    Host: if you're local, you can put your internal IP address you use to access the OMV gateway (such as 192.168.1.4). If you plan on accessing remotely, you will need to put your public IP address.
    Username: the username you already had or created for FTP.
    Password: obviously, the password for this username
    Port: The main port you created in Step 1.
    Click Quickconnect (note, after you have used Quickconnect, it saves your info in the drop-down list next to the Quickconnect button).
    Upon successful connection for the first time, you will see the certificate pop up. Make sure you check of "Always trust certificate in future sessions." Then click OK.
    You should be able to see your Shared Folder on the right. Your files on your local drive are on the left. Just drag and drop files/folders from left to right to get files/folders onto your OMV server.
    **Note: If you add another Shared Folder after this point, and see that it's not showing up in Filezilla, hit F5 to refresh the Filezilla windows. Your Shared Folder should show up after this.

8. (Optional)
    If you have a dynamic DNS address, you can enter that under "Host" in Filezilla, as an alternative to your public IP address. If you wish to either create a dynamic DNS, I suggest using Duck DNS. I have two suggestions on how to use it. Either use Duck DNS under the DDNS settings in your router, or if you already are utilizing the DDNS section in your router, you can use a different DNS just for your OMV server. You can watch Techno Dad's tutorial on how to do this. It's actually for Nextcloud, but start at 3:35 (and end at 6:00) to follow the directions for only DuckDNS (not Letsencrypt or anything). You will need Docker for that tutorial, so if you don't have Docker, start here.

• FTP is considered unsafe, especially over the internet. Don´t you have concerns? How strong is your encryption?

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• I have a certificate set up. Isn't it considered SFTP? I tried to install SFTP from plugins, but I get an error, something about a port not being open (don't remember which one). I tried opening the port in my router, but I still get the same error despite doing that. So I thought that enabling FTP with SSL/TLS enabled was the same as SFTP. Not really sure.

I also figure that choosing random ports should help keep things a little more secure. I would love to somehow have things more secure, but honestly, I don't even know where to start. The only tutorials that I can find on this sort of thing are Techno Dad's, but not all of them will work for me, since I have an Odroid HC2 and Techno Dad's tutorials all use Docker. With Docker, it seems that I am limited with what I can install because not all of them are compatible with my device.

Could you help me make things more secure?

• So I thought that enabling FTP with SSL/TLS enabled was the same as SFTP

No. It´s similar, but not the same.

Isn't it considered SFTP?

Again No. FTP over SSL/TLS is also known as FTPS. But I have to admit that all I know is from the net.

The drawback of FTPS is, that the encryption is optional and it is less supported as SFTP.

Could you help me make things more secure?

Sorry, again no. I have to less knowledge.
    But my impression is that ftp over SSL/TLS with certificate is considered as secure.

Maybe someone else may chime in?

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!