OMV and virtual ethernet interfaces

• Hi there!

I am using several docker containers on OMV and it now happens, that I need to add virtual IP interfaces for two reasons:
    1) While the OMV part is exposed to the net, some services do not need to be.
    2) Some services share the same ports and cannot easily be configured to use different ports.

Unfortunately OMV is grabbing all port 80 and 443 on all interfaces automatically and therefore fails to set the configuration, as nginx fails to restart while saving the new configuration.
    So I pulled the different entries from the zzz-omv-ngnix and spread them into single manually written configs. But now I cannot delete the old GUI made entries un OMV, as it again fails on saving the new configuration.

Probably it would work, if I stop all docker container and save the configuration, but the openmediavault-webgui config file seems to be re-written frequently while saving all kinds of configuration settings and that the always fails again.

So it would really help to be able to add virtual interfaces in a way that allows to address them for certain parts of OMV.

• omv will never take care of the whole system, it only cares about where it was installed and configured for.
    nginx as example is managed by the plugin omv-nginx. So uninstall omv-nginx and set the web interface to port 81, then port 80 is free and not used. If you do not use https for the web interface, port 443 will not be used. So omv don't overrides these ports again and you can use the ports by own. This also applies to many other omv functions.
    So you can as example turn off the network management of omv by removing any network cards in omv.
    However, then you have to configure it yourself (eg via Network Manager) or you can do it by hand on the shell. All configs can be changed with the thought approach.
    But you should think twice, if you complain at the forum because something does not work.
    Now you can simply put on logical ip addresses by reading debian guides.
    But everything you do to omv will do omv merciless and override these configs. Its a verry thin line between auto config like omv and configuring by hand. You can't have both sides. But you can even configure a base system im omv, remove omv and in the future do all things by hand. it's not easy but it's possible.
    However, if you rely on the knowledge of omv, you have no chance to do it yourself. I use omv out of laziness, not because I can't.

But there is a third way... a very bad and dark way... never complain about this... you are on your own ... i can only wisper it.. but...
    if you want deny changes by omv, fix the file with the command chattr +i ...
    lalala lalalalala.... :)

Equipment: a few Computers, lot's of waste heat, little time and a Pile of work.

When solving problems, dig at the root instead of hacking at the leaves.

• dc3ax

Hat das Label OMV 5.x hinzugefügt.
  • dc3ax

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!