using external USB Drive for TimeMachine AND EXT4

• Hello,

i´m trying to solve a problem with my external backup drive.
    right now, i have a USB drive connected to the NAS, formatted with EXT4 as a backupdrive for OMV System. I thought i can use this drive also for TimeMachine backup from my MacBook. BUT, it dos not work. i set up the apple filling plugin, allowed the use for time machine, prepairing the macbook time machine with this drive and the timemachin is starting, but it dos not finish. there is a problem.

now i thougt it is maybe because of the format of the drive. EXT4, because they say, "Use extended format for time machine. So i try to finde a solution to use a part of the drive with ext4 and another part of the drive with extended format.

is this even possible??

thanks for your help
    matt

• Offizieller Beitrag

So i try to finde a solution to use a part of the drive with ext4 and another part of the drive with extended format.

I thought the ext in ext4 stands for extended.

AFAIK Apple should be able to work with SMB.

If you want to have two filesystems on the drive, you have to reduce the size of the existing partition with gparted and then create a new filesystem on the freed space on the drive.

• I thought the ext in ext4 stands for extended.
    AFAIK Apple should be able to work with SMB.

If you want to have two filesystems on the drive, you have to reduce the size of the existing partition with gparted and then create a new filesystem on the freed space on the drive.

dos that work? i wasn´t sure about the formatting. Is gparted able to format in extended, the MacOS filetyp?

Update: it worked, thank you.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!