Windows 10: HDDs starts (spin up) always on start of windows (explorer closed)

• Dear all,

I am using windows 10 and have mounted the shares permanently. Access works pretty fine. Spin-down is realized using hd-idle (since hdparm did not work).

My point/issue/challenge: It seem that the HDs are starting when I login to my windows 10 account (explorer is closed). I really would like to avoid this since this will reduce the live time of the hdd and is acutally not necessary...

Any ideas?

Best regards
    Andreas

• Offizieller Beitrag

Only mount the share when you actually intend to use it?

(That is what I do. Automatically using autofs, but that is Linux.)

Or ask Microsoft to change Windows so it doesn't mount or check external resources when you login?

Or stop using Windows?

Or never ever stop the disks spinning?

Be smart - be lazy. Clone your rootfs.
    OMV 5: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4

• Or ask Microsoft to change Windows so it doesn't mount or check external resources when you login?

:D:D:D Good luck!

But seriously, I think this is Windows behavior. If you login and you have persistent network connections Windows checks the availability of them. That triggers the drives in the NAS to spin up.

I really would like to avoid this since this will reduce the live time of the hdd

I don´t think you need to worry about it. E.g. the load cycle count is a lot more stressful for a drive.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von cabrio_leo ()

• What you can do (with a little less comfort) is, to dispence with persistent network connections and use a small script (cmd batch file) to connect to the NAS in case you need it.

• Disconnect all persistent network connections in Explorer
    • Write a small script e.g. "Connectshares.cmd" with the following content:
      net use /persistent:no X: \\server\share password /user:domain\username
    • Add a new line with a different drive letter for every share you want to connect to. Password and user name is optional. Without them the logged in Windows user credentials is used.
    • Store or link to the batchfile on the desktop.
    • Everytime you want to use your NAS execute that file and the drives should spin-up.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!