OMV Raid on a ESXi Server for VMs

• Hello,

I want to add to my existing Server 2 HDDs for Raid 5 with 8TB WD Reds/Ironwolfs.
    Currently I have only 1 and make a Backup every day.
    I also would like to have a Raid 5 because of the better Performance and no downtime if 1 disk fails.
    I dont want to spend 300€ only on a Raid controller... is the Software Raid on OMV good enough and also fast like a normal Raid 5?

The plan would be:
    ESXi -> OMV5 VM (with Raid 5 for my NFS Datastore) -> On that Datastore I would like to have some VMs running like my current OMV with Plex etc. , my other Windows and Linux VMs
    Now you could ask why to OMV VMs? If I need the restart my curent OMV I dont want to restart all VMs on my server.

For a little test I installed OMV5 in a VM and made a Raid0/Linear with 2 different hard drives.
    The performance is worse than 1 HDD without raid.
    I get about 60MB/s and not 150 to 200 I normally get.

Over NFS as Datastore mounted into my Windows Server it was about 30-60 MB/s.
    Is it right that the NFS Share from my OMV raid is shared over the NIC from my Server to my router and back to the NIC?
    Or is ESXi intelligent enough to route it internal?

Is there any better solution to get a Software Raid on a ESXi Server? I open for all ideas you guys have.
    I dont have a raid card and i dont want to use my mainboards raid, because if it die the raid is dead if I dont get that exact Mainbaord.

I really hope you can follow my strange plan :D
    Thanks for your help and have a nice evening

• Offizieller Beitrag

I want to add to my existing Server 2 HDDs for Raid 5 with 8TB WD Reds/Ironwolfs.

?( the raid will only be as large as the 2 x 2TB drives, you can't mix drive sizes in a raid array.

Is it right that the NFS Share from my OMV raid is shared over the NIC from my Server to my router and back to the NIC?

That doesn't make sense and why would it do that.

The plan would be:
    ESXi -> OMV5 VM (with Raid 5 for my NFS Datastore) -> On that Datastore I would like to have some VMs running like my current OMV with Plex etc. , my other Windows and Linux VMs
    Now you could ask why to OMV VMs? If I need the restart my curent OMV I dont want to restart all VMs on my server.

This is just as confusing, as I understand EXSI it's a bare metal hypervisor so one would create a VM for each OS, the only time all the VM's would restart was if EXSI or the machine itself was restarted as they independent of each other.

Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?

OMV 6x amd64 running on an HP N54L Microserver

• I would use 3x8TB HDDs so they are all the same.

The other VMs would use the new Datastore which is created bei the OMV5 VM and mounted as Datastore with NFS.
    So they run on the OMV5 Raid technically.
    Its hard to describe

• I found some informations that make it maybe better than my first plan and easier to understand.
    I read that its possible to mount raw drives directly to my OMV5 VM vie RDM https://www.tumfatig.net/20120…local-sata-disks-on-esxi/
    So there is no vmfs filesystem on the drives and they are directly in my OMV5.
    My plan would than be to make a raid 5 with 3x8TB HDDs.
    Than share them over nfs to my ESXi as new Datastore and run on that Datastore my other VMs.

What do you think of that plan?
    Does this make it a little more clear what I want to do?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!