Will omv-extras Webdav, Borgbackup, Duplicati backup be supported in OMV-5.

• Hello, I asked for help for installing duplicati, webdav, borgbackup pluging in OMV-5 in following thread since I could not see them in the omv-extras although they are reported omv-extras.org web site.

Newbie needs help installing WebDav and BorgBackup

From the responses, I have understood that even though these plugins are available in OMV-4 has not been included in OMV-5. It is also not known that if they ever be supported. I am advised to use docker container..

I need, if possible, an authoritative answer about the future of these plugings. Especially webdav is crucial for since I keep a large collection of zotero database that syncs with local QNAP webdav server which I intend to replace with OMV

Thank you.

• Offizieller Beitrag

an authoritative answer about the future of these plugings

Why should you use or not use dockers

duplicati, webdav, borgbackup

no (use docker - duplicati/duplicati is the official docker - or just install the package, the plugin does hardly anything), no (use docker - bytemark/webdav seems to be popular), eventually when I am done porting it.

although they are reported omv-extras.org web site.

The site has nothing about OMV 5.x on it. https://bintray.com/openmediavault-plugin-developers/usul is the official repo and best place to look to see if a plugin exists for OMV 5.x

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thank you for the "authoritative" answer. I bookmarked the link you pointed out which I did not see previously.

My problem with docker is the learning curve, separate user management etc., figuring out inner details of container and linking with volumes etc.

Webdav seems a basic and fundamental service and most NAS distributions provide it out of box. I owned synology, qnap they all provide webdav built-in, as NFS, Samba, FTS etc. Freenas does the same as well. All other fancy stuff, even duplicati, or borg are simply applications maybe provided or not, but webdav seems a fundemantal core feature in terms of nas concept, providing network storage.

I have managed my own personnal linux servers previously about more than I guess 10 years ago with the same purpose of NAS, and since I was tired of hassling all the details of separate user, access control, share management with different services etc., I finally bought my first nas.

Anyhow thank you for the answer...

• Offizieller Beitrag

My problem with docker is the learning curve, separate user management etc., figuring out inner details of container and linking with volumes etc.

Did you watch any of the videos from the video guide thread? https://forum.openmediavault.o…ntermediate-and-Advanced/ The learning curve isn't that tough and not sure what you mean by user management. Linking of volumes is typically spelled out very clearly in the docker hub listing.

Webdav seems a basic and fundamental service and most NAS distributions provide it out of box.

That may be true but most have commercial backing. Strange that I've never had a need for webdav on over 20 years of running my own servers. I decided not to port the plugin because most people complained about its lack of features and it just needed too much work. It isn't very secure either since it uses OMV's web server. Pretty sure Nextcloud can serve webdav and the image I listed earlier by bytemark has a very good how to: https://docs.bytemark.co.uk/ar…ebdav-server-with-docker/ but you could have it running with two lines in docker (after clicking install docker in omv-extras).

mkdir /srv/dav
    docker run --restart always -v /srv/dav:/var/lib/dav \
    -e AUTH_TYPE=Digest -e USERNAME=alice -e PASSWORD=secret1234 \
    --publish 8060:80 --name webdav \
    -e LOCATION=/webdav -d bytemark/webdav

I have managed my own personnal linux servers previously about more than I guess 10 years ago with the same purpose of NAS, and since I was tired of hassling all the details of separate user, access control, share management with different services etc., I finally bought my first nas.

I think you would be better off figuring how to setup a VPN and use the normal services you use when you are on the same network.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Regarding the learning curve you mention abut docker I do not know if you know about portainer.

You can install portainer inside docker and get a web interface to handle the rest of actions in an asy way. This way you will only have to acces the docker shell once and could forget about the inners of docker itself for the rest.

Hope this helps.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!