Probably noob questions, but how to power off and power on HC2 properly?

• I'm getting an Odroid HC2 this week probably (It's on it's way)

I've tried looking for the answer. What is the proper way to shut down Open Media Vault?

Secondly, since the HC2 doesn't have a power button, would I unplug it and plug it back in to restart it?

Sorry for asking noob questions. I don't want to do anything that would break the thing.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Select "shut down" from the pull-down menu in the upper right hand of the webgui and then unplug the power after it has shut down. Plug the power in to boot. Nice machine.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Agricola ()

• Don't disconnect the power to shut it down.

Either run the shutdown command in the console or shell, or use the power off function in the web GUI.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Oh yes, I forgot about the command line: shutdown

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, shutdown from the OMV GUI. That is the safe way to do it.

But I have to confess to being naughty. Sometimes I just pull the plug. Actually more often than I run the shut down command. So far there has been no problem with this. When I plug it in again, after a while it is up and running as normal again.

I don't recommend pulling the plug like this. I am just saying it is not the end of the world if you do. At least in my experience. So far. Knock on wood.

I have several HC2 running from the same 12 volt PSU. And a few times I have even pulled the plug to that PSU, pulling the rug out from under several HC2 running OMV, at the same time. When I plug it back in, everything is fine again, after a short while.

I use ext4 and a few dockers. I never pull the plug if I see a lot of activity going on. Flashing LEDs. And typically my HC2 are up for many weeks at a time, constantly on.

I am awear of the risk of loosing data or a filesystem or application becoming corrupt and the HC2 unable to boot. But the ext4 filesystem is journaled and designed to be able to handle having the plug pulled. Also I have a robust system in place for daily backup snapshots.

A filesystem being journaled means that it has safeguards that makes sure that it can recover from being shut down. It keeps a record of what it is about to do. Then does it. Then flags it as done. That way, during boot, the filesystem can fix pending changes. But it might mean discarding recent changes to files. Data loss.

For a while I thought about getting a small 12 volt UPS. But I don't think it is necessary for a simple standard setup with a HC2, ext4 and OMV.

I am thinking of trying glusterfs. If I do I will test to see if it tolerates this level of abuse as well. I suspect that it does.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!