OMV & Unionfs plugin to pool disks into one

• Hello,

I am new to Linux and looking for an answer to a question I cannot fin anywhere.

I having recently received an old server from work which has come with a couple old drives. I have in total two 2TB HDD, four 1TB HDD for a total of 8TB. I would like to pool these disks into a single volume and it will only contain media. I have read some articles that say I can use OMV and UnionFS plugin to do this. I have also read about software like LVM to merge disks into one volume however they format the disks that are involved in the merge. Which worries me thinking about future proofing and upgrading disk down the road.

My questions are:
    1. Will the process of pooling disks together format all disks involved?
    2. If disks are formatted when pooled, how do people work around upgrading disks without loosing data?
    3. Is is even recommended to do for a home media server?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Will the process of pooling disks together format all disks involved?

No. unionfs (mergerfs) works on top of existing filesystems. You can still access the individual disks when they are pooled.

If disks are formatted when pooled, how do people work around upgrading disks without loosing data?

See first question.

Is is even recommended to do for a home media server?

Uh, yes. It is probably the most popular thing to do. I use it myself.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!