FreeFileSync / RealTimeSync in OpenMediaVault?

• Can anyone think of a reason I would NOT be able to manually install and run the FreeFileSync/RealTimeSync (FFS/RTS) Linux tarball in OpenMediaVault? My Linux Mint and Kubuntu FTS/RTS installs are both manual -- the only way to get a current FFS/RTS release in those and most other distros. I'm guessing there shouldn't be a problem in any (most?) Debian-based distros, either, but I figure it's better to ask upfront than be disappointed later on.

BTW, I have years of experience with FFS/RTS and none whatsoever with rsync, which is why I ask. Besides, FFS does bidirectional syncing and it's my understanding that rsync doesn't.

• I think FreeFileSync has some (limited?) command-line functionality, but I've never used FFS on the command line and I don't know how or whether RealTimeSync would work.

Is it a big deal to install a lightweight desktop environment in OpenMediaVault?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Might work OK. Might slow things down. Might cause a small thermonuclear detonation. Try it...

If it is for backup snapshots, I'd just use rsync in a script. Triggered by cron or by inotify-tools.

https://github.com/WikiBox/snapshot.sh

But I don't know what you are trying to do. What you are syncing and why.

• Adoby:

I've really appreciated your replies but have been super-busy since my original post. When I'm over the crunch, I'm going to try to find out more about rsync snapshots* -- and again, I know next to nothing about rsync -- and will follow up with a reply that isn't too full of extraneous ... uh ... stuff. ;)

*I'm also going to look into Odroid's current offerings.

In the interim, I can say that one thing I like about FreeFileSync/RealTimeSync is that it can be set up to make an age- and/or number-capped archive of time-stamped backups of files that are overwritten or deleted by a sync. The backup is triggered not by the passage of an arbitrary amount of time but rather by the sync itself (which itself is triggered, with a user-configurable delay, by RealTimeSync as soon as it detects that a folder it's monitoring has changed). Accordingly, it allows you to recover from screw-ups on a much more granular basis. Depending on how short a delay you choose for the RealTimeSync-triggered sync, every version of a file you save can be automatically backed up, not just the most recently saved version at the end of each period of x hours. I hope that makes sense and that I have not made a lot of false assumptions about how rsync snapshots work. As I said, I'm going to have to read up on them.

• Adoby:

Depending on how short a delay you choose for the RealTimeSync-triggered sync, every version of a file you save can be automatically backed up, not just the most recently saved version at the end of each period of x hours.

Please read about ZFS and ZFS sapshot, is clearly beter than use FreeFilesync.

PD: I use FreeFilesync on my Win PC to sync by hand/demand my Video folder but I can use Rsync for same pourpouse, , I do not use rsync because I copy only 2 or 3 videos a week and a manual sync is enought.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!