Why upgrade?

• Hi, I looked at the changelog for 5, but was left wondering why? Why would any of these things bother me? What is actually the advantage of 5 over 4 for general use

For me the only thing missing from OMV is a web file manager, which I did not see mentioned in the changelog.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If your system is working well, there probably is no advantage. There is a plugin for extplorer (web file manager) in .5 though. There are also a few new plugins available for .5.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I think I am only Mod that hasn't yet. If you are happy with .4 and using plugins that are not available in .5 there really is no reason. When you see a plugin in .5 that you have to have you will know it's time to upgrade.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What is holding you back? I actually have a system still running OMV 0.3!

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• For me it is openvpn and cups plugins. I can setup openvpn and cups manually but why. Also, it's not like I'm not using .5. I probably use it as much as anyone. Yesterday I was testing a RAID 0 with LVM on top in a vm with 2 vds. So I get my fill. :lol: :lol:

• Offizieller Beitrag

That's what I thought :)

• The main pluggin I use is PLEX, thats about it really for stuff I have installed. Oh and timemachine.

Other than that, I need for nothing else.

The only issues I have every come across is occasionally I will find the CPU at 100%. I don't have the email set up or anything so it comes down to when I bother to log in.

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

For me it is openvpn and cups plugins. I can setup openvpn and cups manually but why. Also, it's not like I'm not using .5. I probably use it as much as anyone. Yesterday I was testing a RAID 0 with LVM on top in a vm with 2 vds. So I get my fill. :lol: :lol:

Pretty much this. I'm now using CUPS as the local (back) end for Google Cloud printing, and actually have used it (scary!). And OpenVPN.
    Although OpenRemote is stealing my time at the mo...... :)

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

If your system is working well, there probably is no advantage. There is a plugin for extplorer (web file manager) in .5 though. There are also a few new plugins available for .5.

HI now I have a 5 install, where can I find this pluggin, I typed in extplorer and got a download but its a zip, the plugins for the new 5 seem to be a single .deb file.

• I'm still on version 0.4 I'm waiting on version 0.6 so I can do a fresh install on new hardware. I guess I'll skip version 0.5
    My installs were 0.2 first install on old Freenas hardware then upgraded to 0.3 on same hardware.
    Fresh install on 0.4 with current hardware.
    Version 0.5 going to skip.
    Version 0.6 fresh install on new hardware.

• Well, installing a fresh system can sometimes keep you from headaches, but remember that you have to setup anything again (except your software raids which get autodetected...)

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Tell me about it its going to be a pain for me because I'm going from software raid to hardware raid via a vitural setup with PCI pass through using Xenserver 6.2 I have 3 new terabyte drives waiting for all my data. Still waiting on 4 way motherboard as I have all other hardware. New motherboard has LSI HR build in. My setup will be 4X AMD 6100 CPU with 64 gigs of ram.

• Motherboard with build in LSI HR? You sure about that? Never heard of that before and allways thought to stay away from Motherboard RAID because it is just calculated in Software...

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Some of the big supermicro quad processor boards do have an hba built in.

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

Some of the big supermicro quad processor boards do have an hba built in.

Ah, Okay.

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!