French accented character in directory name and file name (Raspberry pi 3B+)

• When trying to copy directory or file having French accented character, the system return an "invalid argument" message.

I tried a few of the suggestions found on the web but none is giving result.

Would you have a fix for that problem ?

Thank you.

Regards,

RJM

• What do you copy from where to where? Which share (SMB, NFS?) Which file system? Please post the exakt error message?

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Hi Cabrio_Leo,

Thank you so much for your interest in helping me to solve the problem.

1) I copy from my Linux, Debian, Buster home computer to my OMV (RPI 3B+ with 2* 1Tbyte disks) mounted on the same network router as my Debian computer. Everything work quite fine except when file names or directory names have accented French characters (see screen capture).

2) The share is SMB/CIFS. The file system is VFAT. I tried ext4, but for one reason that I ignore, OMV is struggeling with it and with VFAT everything works fine. I am a francophone so I have many files/directory with accented characters.

I have another RPI, running Raspbian, mounted on the same network, acting as a backup server with an Rsync script and a crontab running on my computer. This same RPI is also acting as a print server. Very stable, very reliable and I do not experiment any problem with French accented characters.

3) The exact error message is "invalid argument" (see screen capture).

Looking forward for your help.

If more information is needed, please do not hesitate to ask question and or screen captures.

Thank you sooo much for you support.

Regards,

René-Jean Mercier

forum.openmediavault.org/wsc/index.php?attachment/13683/forum.openmediavault.org/wsc/index.php?attachment/13684/forum.openmediavault.org/wsc/index.php?attachment/13685/forum.openmediavault.org/wsc/index.php?attachment/13686/forum.openmediavault.org/wsc/index.php?attachment/13687/

• Hi Cabrio_Leo,

Thank you so much for your interest in helping me to solve the problem.

1) I copy from my Linux, Debian, Buster home computer to my OMV (RPI 3B+ with 2* 1Tbyte disks) mounted on the same network router as my Debian computer. Everything work quite fine except when file names or directory names have accented French characters (see screen capture).

2) The share is SMB/CIFS. The file system is VFAT. I tried ext4, but for one reason that I ignore, OMV is struggeling with it and with VFAT everything works fine. I am a francophone so I have many files/directory with accented characters.

I have another RPI, running Raspbian, mounted on the same network, acting as a backup server with an Rsync script and a crontab running on my computer. This same RPI is also acting as a print server. Very stable, very reliable and I do not experiment any problem with French accented characters.

3) The exact error message is "invalid argument" (see screen capture).

Looking forward for your help.

If more information is needed, please do not hesitate to ask question and or screen captures.

Thank you sooo much for you support.

Regards,

René-Jean Mercier

forum.openmediavault.org/wsc/index.php?attachment/13683/forum.openmediavault.org/wsc/index.php?attachment/13684/forum.openmediavault.org/wsc/index.php?attachment/13685/forum.openmediavault.org/wsc/index.php?attachment/13686/forum.openmediavault.org/wsc/index.php?attachment/13687/forum.openmediavault.org/wsc/index.php?attachment/13683/forum.openmediavault.org/wsc/index.php?attachment/13685/forum.openmediavault.org/wsc/index.php?attachment/13687/forum.openmediavault.org/wsc/index.php?attachment/13684/forum.openmediavault.org/wsc/index.php?attachment/13686/

• Offizieller Beitrag

the server return a message that it is having problems at this very moment.

That is a message from the spam filter that your message is going to the moderation queue.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Dear Mister Aaron,

Unfortunately the information at the pointers is not even touching the subject.

As per your suggestion, before posting my request, I spent many hours searching for a possible solution. I found a few suggestions, but they were unfortunately not fruitful.

I wish you could have had a constructive answer, instead of generalities.

Respectfully yours,

RJM

• Offizieller Beitrag

@rjm I guess there is a misunderstanding here. Users can define signatures for their posts. Every post has then two sections. The top section is the message of the post. The bottom section of the post is the signature with some general information and links that are not related to the specific topic. The two sections are separated by a small line.

The message from ryecoaaron was just to inform you about the message from the spam filter. That is one sentence. Below that sentence you see the line and below the line is the signature with very useful general information but not related to your issue.

You do not have defined a signature (up to know), so there is nothing written.

Below this line is my signature:

• Offizieller Beitrag

Unfortunately the information at the pointers is not even touching the subject.

Yes, I know that but I was getting tired of deleting your reposts. So, I felt the need to inform you why you kept seeing the "error" screen.

As per your suggestion, before posting my request, I spent many hours searching for a possible solution.

I never said you didn't research it. Once again, just trying to help you understand the spam filter.

I wish you could have had a constructive answer, instead of generalities.

Other people were helping. I didn't have anything to add in that area especially since I don't have experience with files with strange characters.

But to give you useful information since my other post was worthless to you, VFAT is your problem. It does not support special characters since OMV does not mount it with the utf8 option. Just another reason to use a native Linux filesystem.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hello Mr. Aaron,

With this last email you offered me a REAL solution that, with alacrity, I implemented with success.

I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

As for the rest, if you are welling to take a suggestion from an old man of 71 years of age -- that managed thousands of people and a few billions of dollars over a 46 year career in radio and television broadcast, that contributed via standards committees (in USA as a matter of fact) of the television that you look at and listen to today -- you have to be patient, tolerant and always offer good solution and advice, with simplicity and empathy. Not everyone has full knowledge of the science they are learning. By offering your advice the way I just described, you will be emphasizing to people asking for help and support the real level of your vast knowledge.

You can tell to yourself that today you contributed to teach someone that was really in need for a solution.

Thank you so much for all.

Kind regards,

RJM

• If you get an server error message while posting your message, please be patient and wait for about 30 seconds. Do not reload the page or do something else with your browser. Then reload the forum´s start page. In most cases the post has been successful.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!