uninstall OMV

• Hi,

I have a home media server where OMV (2.2.14 (stoner burn)) is installed and wish to do a complete uninstall, but I haven't found any documentation on how to do that. Also, what happens when I do perform an uninstall? Will it wipe my media directories? I kind of do NOT want to loose all my media. Using a Linux live distro running off a flashdrive I see OMV has added a couple of files (or folders?) to each folder. I'm hoping a clean/proper uninstall will remove these and all OMV-related stuff and leave my directories/folders as they were before installing OMV. Is that the case?

Thanks for any assistance,

-dirt

• Offizieller Beitrag

I suspect that it isn't OMV that changed or added things, but instead the media player software that you installed in OMV. Plex, perhaps? Hard to tell from the info you've given.

As far as I know there is no uninstall for OMV.

A manual procedure could be to first backup all data. Then salvage/copy data from shared folders. Then migrate any dockers or other apps. Then wipe all the drives.

If you don't have backups, you WILL lose data. And this is a very likely time for it. If you are not careful you may lose all or some of your media files. I would suggest that the most common reason for losing data is user error. Backups help with that. But sometimes the backups also are bad. Backups that haven't been tested and verified are bad backups. Backups becomes good only by testing them and verifying that they actually can be correctly restored.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you use OMV2 you are on a very old Debian version as well. Both are not supported any more. You should move to an up to date operating system.

The standard setup is to have the OS (OMV) on one disk and data on other disks. If you have it like this, you can install a fresh OS on your OS disk without touching your data. In order to avoid mistakes you should detach the data disks during installation and attach them after you have freshly installed.

As adoby mentioned you should have backup in any case. Otherwise you will loose data sooner or later due to mistake, hardware error, software error, surge, fire ...

• Offizieller Beitrag

apt-get remove --autoremove openmediavault will remove OMV. Things like samba should keep working but don't complain if something stops working. You won't lose any data though.

OMV does not add any files. quotas might. snapraid might. But not OMV. Nothing will remove those files. You will have to do that. A simple find command can do that though.

• First, many thanks Adoby, macom, and ryecoaaron for the info. Here's a little background on my OMV box. I began to setup OMV on an old HP Proliant Microserver AMD Terion II N40L Dual-Core Processor at least a couple years ago and then was away for 6 months. On returning, I never did more with it. It's been sitting unused and I'm just taking a look again, so, remember almost nothing about it.

Adoby, yes, Plex is my media player software, but I only added my disks to OMV and never got beyond that (I think?) If I remember right, since my file and directory naming is a mess, I was hesitant at the time to do more until I'd renamed various files and folders and restructured directories according to recommendations about getting the best from Plex (which I've yet to do.)

Anyway, as time has passed and I'd never used OMV, I decided to remove OMV and go a different route. I came to the forum since I wasn't sure what the consequences of removing OMV would be on my data, or how to go about it.

macon, I have OMV running on a 16GB USB stick, + 4 data disks added later. So, hopefully, my data will be OK. Not to brag, but I am way better at loosing data than I'd like, through HD failures. Both you and Adoby have already surmised a recurring problem of mine, so thanks for nudging me in the right direction. Perhaps I'll wake up?!

After considering the replies, I might stick with OMV as it seems to have the apps I want. Either way, because my OMV2 setup is so old, I'm guessing I need to do a fresh install, as an update isn't going to work, right?

ryecoaaron, the files I'd mentioned in my earlier post were "aquota.group" and "aquota.user" and they seem to be located only in top directories. An old comment of yours on removing these files, cannot remove aquota.user or aquota.group , says this:
    =================================
    omv 2.x - update-rc.d quota disable
    omv 3.x - systemctl disable quota
    =================================

So, if I run the omv 2.x command, it will remove those files, right?

Then run:

apt-get remove --autoremove openmediavault

Which would leave me with the base debian OS, correct? And from there I could wipe it when installing openmediavault 4.1.27 on the OS USB stick. Is this the best way to get up to speed? And is putting OMV on a USB stick advisable? And since openmediavault 4.1.27 was released earlier this month and is a minor update, I'm guessing you'd advise going with that version? Or would an older version be more stable? As I'm not so clever, the most trouble-free setup is desirable.

Also, I'm hoping my HP Proliant Microserver's onboard AMD H4200 128MB, 1920 x 1200 @60Hz GPU will handle viewing movies on a 28 in monitor. Since there will be no transcoding to smartphones, etc, and I don't own a TV, I'm hoping little to no transcoding will be needed, is that right? Well, I suppose I'll find out after getting OMV running with Plex.

Again, thanks evreyone. Apologies for not giving more details in my 1st post and sorry to bomb you with more noob confusion.

• Offizieller Beitrag

In no particular order.

Yes, running OMV from a USB stick is perfectly fine. That way it is easy to remove and clone the setup to another USB stick. Then, if you try things and OMV break, you don't have to worry about fixing it or reinstalling from scratch. Just reboot using the backup USB stick.

If you add plex and/or dockers you should avoid installing it on the USB stick. Instead install it on one of the HDDs. When using dockers this is easy to do by first moving the docker base path to a dedicated "docker" shared folder on a HDD, before installing any dockers.

Yes, a fresh reinstall seems to be indicated in your case. Unplug the HDDs during install. Once you have a fresh OMV install booted from the USB stick, you can reattach the drives and start configuring the NAS.

The easiest way would be to wipe the drives as you add them, and then have an empty shared folder on each drive. You can then copy over the files from backups, either over the network or over USB.

One possibility is to use the drives in pairs. The first drive in the pair you use to store and share/stream media files. The second drive in the pair you use only for backups of the first. I do something similar, but between pairs of single drive NAS built on small Single Board Computers.

I use a media file scrapers and renamers to fix my media files.

For TV shows and movies I use Tiny Media Manager. As I add new media I use TMM to add to the existing. Works fine.

For music and audio books I use MusicBrainz Picard.

For ebooks I use calibre.

• OK, I'll run OMV from my USB stick. I was just wondering what recent thoughts were on doing so. Several years ago I had another Linux OS running the server from a USB stick (disabling journaling and setting noatime in .fstab) and there was a long power outage when I wasn't around to shutdown the server properly before the UPS ran out of power, corrupting data on the USB stick. A clone of my setup to another USB stick would have saved time it seems... if I'd thought of doing that. Excellent idea.

Adoby:
    ===============================================================
    If you add plex and/or dockers you should avoid installing it on the USB stick. Instead install it on one of the HDDs. When using dockers this is easy to do by first moving the docker base path to a dedicated "docker" shared folder on a HDD, before installing any dockers.
    ===============================================================

I'm barely familiar with containers and dockers and need to study them to better understand what you are saying here. Reading more of the guides and viewing the OMV installation and setup videos is planned.

Adoby:
    ==============================================================
    Yes, a fresh reinstall seems to be indicated in your case. Unplug the HDDs during install. Once you have a fresh OMV install booted from the USB stick, you can reattach the drives and start configuring the NAS.

Alright, I figured the version I'm running was too old to update. And yes, I've done installs in the past that way, just to keep from formatting the wrong disk.

Adoby:
    The easiest way would be to wipe the drives as you add them, and then have an empty shared folder on each drive. You can then copy over the files from backups, either over the network or over USB.

So the disk structure would end up as something like this, with top level "shared" folders on each data disk? :

data01/shared/... data04/shared/...

With renamed files and the folder structure something like this>

data01/shared/movies/movies_docs/(some-movie).(2017)/(some.movie).(2017).mp4

(etc...)
    data01/shared/movies//movies_dramas/(some-movie).(2007).720p/(some.movie).(2007).720p.Bluray.x264.mkv

(etc...)

data02/shared/music/music_metal/black.metal/some.album.(2013)/some.song.ogg
    (etc...)

data02/shared/music/music_jazz/free.jazz/some.album.(2011)/some.song.ogg

(etc...)
    data02/shared/audio.books/audio.books_non-fiction/anthropology/some.audio.book.mp3

(etc...)

I'm getting ahead of myself. As I said, I need to get the basics sorted out.

Adoby:
    One possibility is to use the drives in pairs. The first drive in the pair you use to store and share/stream media files. The second drive in the pair you use only for backups of the first.

That's more or less how I have the drives setup now, except for some soundfonts, samples, and other audio stuff where the original files are on a HDD on one box and I'd intended to use the server for backing up that stuff. Is it reasonable to use OMV for backup storage as well as streaming media?

I'll have to read more on media file scraper and renamers. Any suggestions for Linux scrapers and renamers?

Do I restructure and rename files before adding disks to OMV or use scrapers and renamers to do that from within OMV, or for that matter, Plex (or perhaps, Emby or Kodi)?

I'll have to check out Tiny Media Manager and the other apps you mentioned.

Also, I was reading that OMV doesn't have a file manager, but SMB (samba) can be used to save/edit files using Windows file explorer. I guess something similar can be achieved when using Linux? Both boxes use
    Linux OSes and are connected to the server via a router.

Adoby, thanks a lot for the help!

• Offizieller Beitrag

The folder structure on a data drive is more like this: (Midnight Commander over SSH is my NAS filemanager.)

This is the server nas0 with the shared folder nas0 on the data disc X16.

On my laptop it looks like this: (Ubuntu MATE 19.10. I have nas0 mounted at /srv/nfs)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!