network interface set up issues

• Hi

I've had a bunch of issues (describe in this post) around setting up plex. @macom been helping but we're now so far away from the original issue I think it's a separate post.

I'm now having problems with setting up my network interfaces (which was working fine before)

I've tried omv-first aid which wipes all the setting against the network card I've first-aided

When I go in and re-add them and apply configuration changes it hangs for ages then I get this error:

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; systemctl start 'networking' 2>&1' with exit code '1': Job for networking.service failed because the control process exited with error code.See "systemctl status networking.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

The network card is working because I can access OMV via the web interface.

systemctl status networking.service returns:

journalctl -xe returns:

note the date/time on the above which I also cannot update/ apply without getting the above error in bold

Any thoughts. I'm a total noob so sorry if this is obvious.

dd

• first of all.. changing network configs while login via ssh, http or rdp most times go wrong! You pull the carpet while you stand on.
    if you use a headless PI, this makes it complex, on a Nas with desktop access its easy to change network things.
    on a Nas with Desktop call http://127.0.0.1 to do configs in omv.
    But you can change ipv6 while using ipv4 and vice versa. but this is complex too.
    the easyest way is not touching default dhcp behavior after installation and do not enter/change anything about networks in omv.
    the most systems are in well working dhcp mode after installation. There is no need to play on this configs.
    don't touch netconfigs via net.

Equipment: a few Computers, lot's of waste heat, little time and a Pile of work.

When solving problems, dig at the root instead of hacking at the leaves.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Rd65 ()

• hey @Rd65

re log in via ssh - understood - thanks

Nas is not headless, so no worries there.

re default dhcp - I understood it was preferable to have a static IP which OMV didn't come with out of the box?

Is there any fix for the above in your opinion, short of a reinstall which seems a little excessive?!

dd

• as i told... do the steps and it will work.
    maybe you mixup dhcp wiht dns?
    you get your adress by dhcp from the router and if your router is your dns forwarder, he knows a hostname combined wit this adress (and mac). then it dosn't matter if you get static ip (as a static lease) or a well known hostname managed by your router.
    no reason for static adresses, no reason to play on nameserver entrys. the router do it for you.
    no there is no need to reinstall.. use a backup ;)

Equipment: a few Computers, lot's of waste heat, little time and a Pile of work.

• please do a

$ sudo dhclient -v

and tell me:

$ cat /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient.leases

these are the infos from your router about your client. if you dont want post this, doubleselfcheck the values.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!