Proxmox with ZFS storage to OMV in LXC or VM

• I'm running Proxmox VE 6.0 on native zfs with RAID1 on 2x m.2 drives.
    I created two additional zpools in proxmox with nested datasets as follows:
    store-ssd-01/ds01/lxc - lxc container storage
    store-ssd-01/ds01/vm - vm storage
    store-hdd-01/ds02/home - for home drive storage in OMV

What is the goal? I want to have proxmox manage the zpool and have either an OMV LXC container or OMV VM mount the storage in a way that OMV can use it to create shared folders.

Attempt 1 using VM:
    I create the VM giving it an 8GB zvol from /store-ssd-01/ds01/vm. Installed OMV 5 from installation iso. NFS seemed to be the recommended method of mounting the zfs storage to an OMV VM so on proxmox host I did "zfs set sharenfs=on /store-hdd-01/ds02/home". In the OMV VM I installed omv-extras, installed proxmox kernel and headers. Enabled the testing repo. Installed remote mount plugin. Added the NFS share using NFSv4. I can now create shared folders using the NFS mount successfully. However the read/write speed on the NFS share is only around 200m/s where as the read/write speed is 1.5g/s from proxmox host. This seems slow, no? Surely there is a better or faster way? Is it possible to bind mount storage to a VM?

Attempt 2 using LXC:
    I am able to create the lxc container using Debian 10 template and get OMV 5 installed from repo, I then installed omv-extras, installed proxmox kernel and headers. I then bind mount the zfs dataset to the lxc container using "mp0:/store-hdd-01/ds02/home,mp=/srv/home"
    It mounts successfully in the container with proper permissions and I can read/write to it from console within the container. The problem now is that I don't know how to use the mount in OMV as storage since /srv/home is not a device.

Open to recommendations:
    I'm fine with using OMV in either an LXC container or VM, whichever way will allow me to get the ZFS storage to be usable in OMV.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!