Raspberry pi wifi connecting to 2.4 instead of 5ghz

• I have a Rpi 3 b+ that was connected to a router that had a SSID for 2.4 and another for 5ghz, but I changed it and it has both bands on the same SSID, now the Rpi connects but with iwconfig I get that its connected to the 2.4 band.
    How do I force the Rpi to connect to the 5Ghz band and only fall back to 2.4 when theres a problem?

Thanks

• t has both bands on the same SSID

Use different SSIDs for the 2,4 and 5 GHz band in the router. That´s the easy way to solve it. I do it this way. But maybe there is another way.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

How do I force the Rpi to connect to the 5Ghz band and only fall back to 2.4 when theres a problem?

Technically you can't as this will be router dependant, the router is probably 802.11n and not ac, the Pi has dual band 802.11ac WiFi so to connect and maintain a 5Ghz connection you'll be restricted by the distance and obstacles between the Pi and the router.

I assume by your statement above that you were experiencing drop outs on the 5Ghz channel, you could try changing the channel number but that usually doesn't help, moving the Pi or the router closer together without obstacles in the way.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think that is the default behavior.

There is a problem and that is why 2.4 is used. The problem, most likely, is that the strength of the 5 GHz connection is too low or is disturbed.

This can be fixed in a number of ways.

Change the orientation of the antennas and/or devices.
    Upgrade to better antennas.
    Reduce the distance.
    Use another channel.
    Make a hole in the wall(s) between the devices.
    Make a hole in the floor(s) between the devices.

The way I did it was to combine several of the above methods by using a wifi mesh system, with several nodes, instead of a single router with wifi.

I use ASUS Lyra, works fine. Two relatives are neighbors to each other and share wifi (and an OMV HC1 I set up). It barely worked, except in one or two rooms. I bought and installed a 6 node Tenda MW6 wifi mesh there. 2x3. It was an amazing improvement.

I also have a DIY 2.4 GHz "mesh" consisting of a bunch of small Gl-inet mini-routers configured as repeaters. I use this 2.4 GHz fake mesh mostly for iot stuff and cameras, but it is bridged to the 5GHz mesh as well. I have a farm house with several outbuildings. The 2.4 GHz fake mesh gives great coverage. But with low speed and high latency.

• Make a hole in the wall(s) between the devices.
    Make a hole in the floor(s) between the devices.

That´s for sure, but which tools should be used for that? A jackhammer? :D:D Unfortunately the women acceptance factor is limited.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

That´s for sure, but which tools should be used for that? A jackhammer? :D:D Unfortunately the women acceptance factor is limited.

I typically use a chainsaw to make holes in the walls and floors. Wooden house.

For my protection I also put on a white hockey goal keeper face mask.

I live alone. ?(

• the router is an asus ac86u so its ac and should be able to do 5ghz.
    Also they are a couple of meters appart with nothing in between, I just dont have enough ethernet ports to connect it wired, and the Rpis ethernet isnt that great so no big loss.
    I want to leave separating the SSIDs as a last resort, as I will have to reconnect everything and thats a chore.

• Offizieller Beitrag

the router is an asus ac86u so its ac and should be able to do 5ghz.

According to the specs it does, so the problem is down to the Pi, I found something on the Pi forum that might help as the user that maintained the Pi image is no longer here so I have no idea if the forum solution could be used.

• Offizieller Beitrag

maintained the Pi image

With OMV 5.x, the official Raspbian Buster Lite image should be used with the install script. Once a user is using that image, just about any suggestion on the RPi forum should work. In my opinion, all RPi users should be using that over the OMV 4.x image.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• In the future I will try it, but Ive had it a while, before omv 5 came out, and its working and dont want to mess with it.
    But I do want to try omv 5, as I have a server with a xeon on 4.x and want to see the differences and if its worth it to upgrade, but for now everything is working.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!