Union Filesystems crashes - "Transport endpoint is not connected"

• Offizieller Beitrag

Does anyone know if there are known bugs with the plugin?

No, I have been using it successfully since dropping my raid 5.

The SD cards are connected via two different USB-ports on my Rock64.

I am wondering if this is the problem, you say you are using SD cards via USB, are these SD cards in USB card readers?

There is a user connecting 5 x 2.5 drives via a USB charging hub connected to a Rasp Pi using MergerFS + SnapRaid successfully.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't know what the plugin does so I really can't comment on what it may or maynot contribute to the issue.

All it really does is create an fstab entry (which he posted above) for selected filesystems and mount that entry. The rest of the plugin's functionality is allowing it to show up in OMV's web interface to be used in services like samba, etc. I don't think any of this would affect mergerfs.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Zitat von geaves

I am wondering if this is the problem, you say you are using SD cards via USB, are these SD cards in USB card readers?

I'm not going to say it's impossible but the underlying filesystem or device shouldn't matter.

More likely there is some bug in mergerfs that for some reason is manifesting itself on that platform but not others or it's a bad build. But if I can't reproduce it or have any sort of errors I'm stuck.

• Offizieller Beitrag

More likely there is some bug in mergerfs that for some reason is manifesting itself on that platform but not others or it's a bad build. But if I can't reproduce it or have any sort of errors I'm stuck.

I have a rock64 and can try to reproduce this later. I will update after I test.

• I have a rock64 and can try to reproduce this later. I will update after I test.

Cool! I just followed this mergerfs -f -o <youroptions> <branches> <mountpoint>, but typed wrong variables :rolleyes: Now my system is dead. I am going to reinstall OMV again.

There is a user connecting 5 x 2.5 drives via a USB charging hub connected to a Rasp Pi using MergerFS + SnapRaid successfully.

Unfortunately I just have a USB hub with type C input (Rock64 only have type A), so I don't think I am able to test this at the moment...

• I have now reinstalled OMV.

Just launch a terminal and run mergerfs manually.

mergerfs -f -o <youroptions> <branches> <mountpoint>

When trying this command, Putty loses connection with the server and a reconnection is necessary.

Code
    root@rock64:~# mergerfs -f -o defaults,allow_other,direct_io,use_ino /dev/sda1\*:/dev/sdb1 /srv/02e7a2ba-5b0b-4df3-8a0b-577c9853b885

Am I spelling something wrong?

• No. The source branches have to be the directories in which the source drives are mounted.

If you want to merge your home directory and /tmp and place it in /mnt/foobar

mergerfs -o <options> /tmp:/home/username /mnt/foobar

mergerfs merges directories... so you need to provide the directories you want to merge.

• The USB hub has nothing at all to do with this.

Do the following in a shell as root

# mkdir -p /tmp/{src0,src1,mergerfs}
    # mergerfs -f -o use_ino,allow_other /tmp/src0:/tmp/src1 /tmp/mergerfs

Then in another terminal go and "touch /tmp/mergerfs/foo" and then "ls -lh /tmp/src*" and you should see the file foo.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do the following in a shell as root

At least on an RPi4, that doesn't seem to work with /tmp possibly because it is tmpfs? Just gives an out of space error. But using /mnt instead, it works fine. So, based on mumbedeus' output and my test, I don't think it is an arm issue. Once I get home, I will power up the rock64 and test the sd card test.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Just to add to this I had the same problem with a Rock64 and mergerfs (same versions of everything I believe). I was mounting directories as recommended.
    I never got to the bottom if it as I sold my Rock64 and got a Pi 4 with more RAM which I needed, but just thought I'd add that it seems something specific to that build of OMV/the plugin on a Rock64.

Also @trapexit just to say thanks for an excellent piece of software and all the support you give here and in other forums!

• Offizieller Beitrag

The underlying filesystem makes no difference. It's probably minfreespace=4G. Set it to 0.

I didn't think it would but I forgot about minfreespace.

• Offizieller Beitrag

My rock64 is running OMV 5.x but I didn't have any problems with the mergerfs pool on two SD cards connected via usb. If this is an OMV 4.x issue, I suggest people move to OMV 5.x. Since they are using the same version of mergerfs, I would say it is a problem with the omv 4.x image.

• I see.
    So what you suggest is that I should upgrade to OMV 5 instead? I thought this version still was in a beta phase(?)

Do you know where I can find stable images for the 5.x version - Rock64?

Also, my dockers would run the same way, right? Isn't this one of the main reasons for using docker?

Sorry for all the questions, but I like getting tips from gurus like you :)

• Or; what alternatives do I have to the Union Filesystems plugin? I really don't want to upgrade yet...
    The reason why I want to merge my two file systems is because of the Nextcloud data folder. When setting up Nextcloud in Docker, I can only attach ONE folder, and without Union Filesystems, this folder will just aim at ONE of my hard drives (I have two)...

Do you have a good idea here?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!