Union Filesystems crashes - "Transport endpoint is not connected"

• All the plugin does is generate an appropriate entry in /etc/fstab. Is the generated entry improper in some way? If so, don't rely on the plugin and edit your fstab by hand and insert a correct entry.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So what you suggest is that I should upgrade to OMV 5 instead?

Yes. It has not been released yet but is very stable - more stable than the image you are trying to use.

Do you know where I can find stable images for the 5.x version - Rock64?

With OMV 5.x, there will be no images with OMV pre-installed. So, download the latest Armbian image and run the install script.

Also, my dockers would run the same way, right? Isn't this one of the main reasons for using docker?

Yes. The version of docker is actually the same on OMV 4.x and 5.x since it is coming from the docker repo.

what alternatives do I have to the Union Filesystems plugin?

On an arm board? Nothing that pools drives. So, just using the drives individually is about your only option. I guess you could symlinks but that isn't quite the same.

Do you have a good idea here?

I use unionfilesystems/mergerfs without issue. So, I think there is just something strange with your test setup.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

So what you suggest is that I should upgrade to OMV 5 instead? I thought this version still was in a beta phase(?)

Just don't rebuild with your one and only SD-card, with OMV4 on it. Set that card aside.

Get another card, build OMV5 and try it out.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just don't use a desktop image.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Thanks! I will use that.

By the way; is this version just like a pre-release version of OMV 5.x? I know the official haven't been released yet, but when it does, will I be able upgrading to that from todays version? Or do I have to flash the SD card again - with only the OMV image (like in OMV 4.x)?

• Offizieller Beitrag

is this version just like a pre-release version of OMV 5.x?

The script installs the latest version of the openmediavault package in the repo.

will I be able upgrading to that from todays version?

Yes because OMV is just a package.

with only the OMV image (like in OMV 4.x)?

The end result after using the script is the same as the image. There is no reason to use that image.

• Ok, so I am up running with OMV 5.x. So far it works ok, but not great. This is understandable since this is a pre-release version.
    For example there are no text or values under "System Information" in the dashboard tab (blank). Also pressing the Apply button after each change takes ages (this is not everything taking a long time).

But, the most important problem:
    When trying to set up a datapool with the UnionFS plugin, it gives me this error when pressing save:

Code
    {"response":null,"error":{"code":0,"message":": Missing 'required' attribute 'self_mntentref'.","trace":"OMV\\Json\\SchemaValidationException: : Missing 'required' attribute 'self_mntentref'. in \/usr\/share\/php\/openmediavault\/json\/schema.inc:621\nStack trace:\n#0 \/usr\/share\/php\/openmediavault\/json\/schema.inc(395): OMV\\Json\\Schema->checkProperties(Object(stdClass), Array, '')\n#1 \/usr\/share\/php\/openmediavault\/json\/schema.inc(285): OMV\\Json\\Schema->validateObject(Object(stdClass), Array, '')\n#2 \/usr\/share\/php\/openmediavault\/json\/schema.inc(257): OMV\\Json\\Schema->validateType(Object(stdClass), Array, '')\n#3 \/usr\/share\/php\/openmediavault\/rpc\/paramsvalidator.inc(59): OMV\\Json\\Schema->validate(Object(stdClass))\n#4 \/usr\/share\/php\/openmediavault\/rpc\/serviceabstract.inc(179): OMV\\Rpc\\ParamsValidator->validate('{\"name\":\"l\",\"se...')\n#5 \/usr\/share\/openmediavault\/engined\/rpc\/unionfilesystems.inc(182): OMV\\Rpc\\ServiceAbstract->validateMethodParams(Array, 'rpc.unionfilesy...')\n#6 [internal function]: OMV\\Engined\\Rpc\\UnionFilesystems->set(Array, Array)\n#7 \/usr\/share\/php\/openmediavault\/rpc\/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)\n#8 \/usr\/share\/php\/openmediavault\/rpc\/rpc.inc(86): OMV\\Rpc\\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('set', Array, Array)\n#9 \/usr\/sbin\/omv-engined(537): OMV\\Rpc\\Rpc::call('UnionFilesystem...', 'set', Array, Array, 1)\n#10 {main}"}}

Did you got this message when setting up the plugin on your Rock64 board, @ryecoaaron?

• Offizieller Beitrag

For example there are no text or values under "System Information" in the dashboard tab (blank)

Screenshot? Mine are populated.

Also pressing the Apply button after each change takes ages (this is not everything taking a long time).

It is using saltstack now. So, it is doing much more. Most systems shouldn't need a lot of changes once the system is configured though.

When trying to set up a datapool with the UnionFS plugin, it gives me this error when pressing save:

Try clearing your browser cache.

Did you got this message when setting up the plugin on your Rock64 board, ryecoaaron?

Nope.

• Clearing the browser cache helped (now the "System Information" tab works too)! :) However I cannot create any shared folders...

Just an add in:
    In the near future I plan to set up two servers that will be used as storage servers. The main server will be a ROCKPro64 while the backup server (placed in a different location) is a ROCK64. Today I can download OMV 4.x for ROCK64 via OMV's website, while I only can download the same version for ROCKPro64 from ayufan. I wonder if I should wait until OMV 5.x becomes stable, or can upgrades from 4.x to 5.x be done without much effort? If I choose to start with OMV 4.x, I think of course setting up as much as possible in Portainer/Docker.

What would you do if you were like me - an ordinary person with no particular Linux skills? I guess ROCKPro64 and ROCK64 aren't on the priorty list when it comes to stability on OMV 5.x(?)

• Offizieller Beitrag

However I cannot create any shared folders...

That doesn't help.

can upgrades from 4.x to 5.x be done without much effort?

I would start with OMV 5.x. You have a lot of bad luck and wouldn't expect upgrades would go well. You should be able to download armbian images for both boards.

What would you do if you were like me - an ordinary person with no particular Linux skills? I guess ROCKPro64 and ROCK64 aren't on the priorty list when it comes to stability on OMV 5.x(?)

OMV doesn't target ANY board. Stability is a function of the image. That is why I'm not going to create OMV image. I will let Armbian do what they are good at - creating images. OMV is just a package installed on that image and the script makes sure it is installed correctly. I don't have these stability issues with the same boards (yes, I have both).

• Ok, thanks! I am really happy you let me know about OMV 5.x for my board. Actually it works pretty well! :):):)

Now I am trying to figure out how to use OpenVPN with Portainer, but the linuxserver/openvpn-as docker isn't supported on ARM-boards. I have found several others (i.e. giggio/openvpn-arm), but they aren't looking as straight forward as linuxserver/xxxxxxxx dockers...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!