Union Filesystems crashes - "Transport endpoint is not connected"

• Hello again!

I am trying to set up a datapool for my two SD cards with Union Filesystems, but the plugin crashes every time I am trying to transfer data to the pool. The SD cards are connected via two different USB-ports on my Rock64. In the future, the two SD cards are going to be replaced with two HDDs, but in the meanwhile I am just playing around.

This is what I do:
    - Mount the to SD cards --> named "ALPHA" & "BRAVO"
    - Create a pool with the UnionFS plugin (version 4.0.2) (Create policy: Most free space.) --> named "DATAPOOL"
    - Create a shared folder connected to the pool --> named "ALLDISKS"
    - Give user1 read/write-permissions to "ALLDISKS"
    - Share the folder "ALLDISKS" with Samba
    - Trying to transfer some data to the shared folder via my Windows computer
    - This error shows up in the WebGUI:

Does anyone know if there are known bugs with the plugin? Should I try an older version of the plugin?

Additional information
    - The OMV image is downloaded from https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-build/releases/ (version 0.9.14: gitlab-ci-linux-build-159)
    - I have not tried with any other images yet

I hope someone can help me with the problem :)

Best regards
    Marius

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV version?
    SD card filesystem?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

What is the output of: dpkg -l | grep mergerfs
    grep 33cac946b547 /proc/mounts

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• What is the output of: dpkg -l | grep mergerfs
    grep 33cac946b547 /proc/mounts

Thank you for helping! :)

This is the output:

Code
    root@rock64:~# dpkg -l | grep mergerfs
    ii  mergerfs                                                        2.28.2~debia                                                                                                         n-stretch                    armhf        another FUSE union filesystem
    Code
    root@rock64:~# grep 33cac946b547 /proc/mounts
    ALPHA:BRAVO /srv/fb97e7c0-e130-4e4d-b1df-33cac946b547 fuse.mergerfs rw,relatime,                                                                                                         user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other 0 0
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Not seeing anything wrong yet. What about grep mergerfs /etc/fstab

• Not seeing anything wrong yet. What about grep mergerfs /etc/fstab

Hm... Do you know any bugs with the plugin?

Output of the command is:

Code
    root@rock64:~# grep mergerfs /etc/fstab
    /srv/dev-disk-by-label-ALPHA:/srv/dev-disk-by-label-BRAVO /srv/6ae2eee8-f0ff-4f8b-848e-a35cfb5870c6 fuse.mergerfs defaults,allow_other,direct_io,use_ino,category.create=mfs,minfreespace=4G 0 0
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Do you know any bugs with the plugin?

Not right off hard. This plugin on OMV 4.x has been around a long time. If this was OMV 5.x, it might make sense. Your fstab entry looks ok too. This seems like a potential mergerfs issue. Maybe @trapexit (author of mergerfs) would have an idea?

• This seems like a potential mergerfs issue. Maybe @trapexit (author of mergerfs) would have an idea?

It's worth a try. Thank you! :)

I came over this, which led me to this and this. The armhf versions here are libfuse2_2.9.9-2 and fuse_2.9.9-2. The output of mergerfs -v on my system is:

Code
    root@rock64:~# mergerfs -v
    mergerfs version: 2.28.2
    FUSE library version: 2.9.7-mergerfs_2.28.0
    fusermount version: 2.9.7
    using FUSE kernel interface version 7.29

The versions are newer than 2.9.4 (which was recommended here), but it's not the latest release(?)

• Offizieller Beitrag

The versions are newer than 2.9.4 (which was recommended here), but it's not the latest release(?)

mergerfs has its own fuse libraries compiled in. So, the system fuse libraries shouldn't matter.

• mergerfs has its own fuse libraries compiled in. So, the system fuse libraries shouldn't matter.

Ah, I understand...
    Well, I guess I have to wait for the author, @trapexit, as you recommended :) That said, I have seen several post on the forum describing the exact same problem, but it looks like it never was solved. I hope I will be the lucky man! :thumbup: Anyway, thank you so far!

• I can't comment without details. What mergerfs version? Is it up to date? Can you reproduce it outside OMV?

Look at this:

Code
    root@rock64:~# mergerfs -v
    mergerfs version: 2.28.2
    FUSE library version: 2.9.7-mergerfs_2.28.0
    fusermount version: 2.9.7
    using FUSE kernel interface version 7.29

What do you mean by "Can you reproduce it outside OMV?"?

• I really can't comment without the ability to reproduce it. There are lots of reasons why it could have died. Have you tried running mergerfs on the commandline in the foreground to see what the output might be as it dies? Or ... journald logs or something?

• I really can't comment without the ability to reproduce it. There are lots of reasons why it could have died. Have you tried running mergerfs on the commandline in the foreground to see what the output might be as it dies? Or ... journald logs or something?

No, I have not tried that as I am not that kind of an expert with Linux. Would you mind guiding me, or maybe link to a webpage showing how to do it?
    Currently everyting is set up from the WebGUI in OMV. When trying to add a folder from my PC with Samba, the pool crashes.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't know what the plugin does so I really can't comment on what it may or maynot contribute to the issue.

Off topic - but I just wanted to pass a note of thanks for your work. Once one spends a bit of time understanding the policies, it's pretty easy to aggregate drives. mergerfs has worked flawlessly for me.

Thanks again.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!