Do You Update?

• Hello everyone, and please may I express my thanks and appreciation for such a fabulous piece of software :)

After several months of general messing around and learning, I now have two production machines in place. The main workhorse is a Supermicro Intel Mini ITX motherboard in a Silverstone DS380B 8 Bay NAS, currently with just four slots taken by 10TB disks in raid6.

The other machine is a Helios4 self-built (I love it!) that is used as a permanent rsync backup to the main machine. Both OMV4. There are offsites, too.

Now that everything is up and running, I’m feeling very cautious about applying updates etc. The urge is always to instantly apply the latest and greatest. The last thing I want to do now is to spend hours (days) rebuilding a raid and copying data over again.

I could simply lock the machines down in their current state, and never update. They both feel very stable.

Does anyone have any guidance on this, please?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Does anyone have any guidance on this, please?

While I update all the time, I have lots of VMs that I update first. Build a VM or two configured similar to your prod systems somewhere and test updates on them.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I update perhaps monthly. When I have some spare time. A rainy weekend, typically. I have several small OMV servers and I typically update only one first to see if all is fine. It may be a NAS I have a recent clone of the rootfs for. Or it may be a machine that I just use as a backup server.

After an update and reboot and all seems to work, I update the rest of my NAS.

So far there has never been any problem with the updates.

I don't have a very complex setup. Two users. One drive, one or two shared folders. One or two dockers. Some scripts to copy. Some config files to copy. Reboot. Easy to reinstall from scratch in less than an hour if needed.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I could backup the VM before applying updates.

Or just take a snapshot. Rolling back to a snapshot is super easy on most hypervisors.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!