[ALERT NOOB] Help and suggestions for building first NAS

• is there a difference between the motherboard(on first post) to others on the market? Should I pick different motherboard?
    Which GPU should I pick if AMD CPU doesn't come with integrated graphics?

• is there a difference between the motherboard(on first post) to others on the market? Should I pick different motherboard?Which GPU should I pick if AMD CPU doesn't come with integrated graphics?

yes. it depends on which additional hardware you plan to use.

maybe. see above

there are lot of amd boards out there with grafic enginge. but VMs do not need a Grafic card.

if you want stop posting me, ask me... but you want help.. my nas running fine including actual 2 VM's. :)

Equipment: a few Computers, lot's of waste heat, little time and a Pile of work.

When solving problems, dig at the root instead of hacking at the leaves.

• yes. it depends on which additional hardware you plan to use.
    maybe. see above

there are lot of amd boards out there with grafic enginge. but VMs do not need a Grafic card.

if you want stop posting me, ask me... but you want help.. my nas running fine including actual 2 VM's. :)

what is your complete pc build? (Is that an expensive car from germany ?) CPU, RAM (ECC or non ecc)
    Are you running OMV on it? Has it crash? Are you doing encryption on storage? Which raid?
    Are you running windows on VM? What are you running on VM? Is it slow? Fast?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just took advantage of Black Friday and ordered a small PC I intend to use as a network server.

I won't use it as a NAS, I have plenty of NAS storage already in the form of small single board computers with big hdds. Like HC2 and Raspberry Pi 4.

I will use it as an application server. VMs and dockers. Perhaps even OMV. There are some applications that are not available for arm devices, that I want to try out. That is the main reason for getting it. I may also use it as a compile/build server and media server, with remote storage on the NAS. And as a remote desktop. And perhaps put my iot stuff on it. And...

I bought an ASRock DeskMini A300 barebone with a Ryzen 5 3400G, 32 GB 3200 RAM and two 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe drives. I picked the best deals I could find from suppliers in Sweden, Denmark and Germany... Still too expensive...

I may also put a 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD in it. Or swap one of the 970 for a 2 TB Intel 660p NVMe SSD.

I intend to use at least 2 x 100 GB SSD storage for cache of nfs using fscache.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Who said I couldn't?

But the DeskMini A300 is small. Just room for two NVMe drives and two 2.5" drives. No 3.5" drive. Except via USB. I already have plenty of storage, using my RPi4 and HC2s, but I had no server to run x86 applications. Now I will have.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!