• Hi all,

Got tired of my old TS-431 Qnap, mostly because of all bloatware that you can't uninstall, and also because of poor hardware; arm cpu, 512MB ram etc.
    So I decided to make my own build for OMV and gathered these parts:

• Asrock J5005-ITX
    • 8 GB Crucial CT2K4G4SFS824A
    • Supermicro PWS-203-1H 200W
    • ST-Lab PCIe 2xSata (AsMedia 1060 Chipset)
    • Fractal Design Core500

This far I've moved over 4x 4TB Toshiba drives and setup a RAID5 array (~6 hours to complete).
    Seems to be working great, I really like the fast and simple OMV Gui :thumbup: finally no bloatware!
    OMV installed on a 120 GB SSD.

Have not had the time to test all functions yet, but have seen writes at ~70-80 MB/s and reads at 110 MB/s over SMB.
    FD-case is not optimal for a NAS, but nothing else was available in the store, might exchange this for something better.

Went for the J5005 as TDP is specified at max 10W with an impressive FLOPS/W, seems perfect for a NAS.
    With 4 HDD, 1 SDD and 2 ram sticks, I'm hoping to be below 50W most of the time. Will measure this when everything is properly installed.

• For me no reason to dislike. FreshNAS was asking in his first post on the forum for feedback for his build. So I assume he wanted to get some info from Glider_bum why he choose this MoBo and processor.

If you read FreshNAS's first post, you can see that my reply was copy&pasted with exchange of 'CPU' to 'motherboard'.... *sigh*

• How did u get the RTL8111H up and running?

Please share your result as I, and others got stuck with Apollo Lake Boards or similar Chipsets.

DE | EN; 81er Jahrgang Spätlese, OMV Bastler, erfahrener PC-Geek, Linux begeistert, mag alles was Strom oder Netzwerk braucht 8o

• Hi
    And I'm thinking of building this one NAS based on j5005-itx
    i have 4 HDD WD RED 3Tb already

i see you use a PCI-E adapter (AsMedia 1060 Chipset) with a SATA SSD

i have a question:
    Asrock mainboard can boot OMV from this adapter (with sata SSD) ?

• Yes, it can boot from the Asmedia chipset PCIe board.
    Should be the same chipset as on J5005 motherboard, so no issues.
    The extra 2 drives are detected directly in BIOS.

• Hi,

I have got an Asrock J4015B-ITX motherboard, very similar as J5005 but CPU/GPU a little bit older. I have tried to install OMV 5 from openmediavault_5.5.11-amd64.iso burned in a usb stick with dd command. I have found several issues:

1. The installation was stalled because the installer doesn't find the CD-ROM files, reported here.
    2. Solved the previous issue, the installation stucks after select locales. I think is because network doesn't work fine. When I try to follow the installation with the Ethernet unplugged, the process continues at the end. But after first reboot, the ethernet Realtek rtl8111h doesn't work.

Finally, I have installed OMV from Debian, by installing Debian from debian-10.7.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso and the following the official steps to install from Debian packages. I have realize the kernel version in Debian is 4.19 vs 5.8 in OMV installer.

• ah wait, you installed xfce as well. You'll probably end up having problems putting omv on top of that.

No, I have used the graphical installer but I have not installed the graphical environment or XFCE.

Did you manage to get Debian installed with your internet working? If so, getting the most up to date kernel is easy

Yes, the ethernet is working. I think is not working 100% fine because I can see these lines in dmesg:

Code
    r8169 0000:02:00.0 enp2s0: unable to load firmware patch rtl_nic/rtl8168h-2.fw (-2)
    r8169 0000:02:00.0 enp2s0: Link is Down
    IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): enp2s0: link is not ready
    • Offizieller Beitrag

No, I have used the graphical installer but I have not installed the graphical environment or XFCE.

Yes, the ethernet is working. I think is not working 100% fine because I can see these lines in dmesg:

Code
    r8169 0000:02:00.0 enp2s0: unable to load firmware patch rtl_nic/rtl8168h-2.fw (-2)
    r8169 0000:02:00.0 enp2s0: Link is Down
    IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): enp2s0: link is not ready

OK, have you installed OMV on top of it yet?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Disregard, I see you did get OMV installed... if that's the case, this is pretty easy.

Go here and follow the instructions for the openmediavault install script (it says it will install OMV, but since you already have it, it will just install omv-extras)

https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…-Developers/installScript

Once that is done, refresh the webUI, and click on OMV-extras/Settings, and click the trigger next to the backport channel so it's green. Click save/apply.

Go back to your an SSH or Console session

apt-update

apt-get -t buster-backports install linux-image-amd64

When it's done, reboot and you'll be on kernel 5.9

• I have followed your steps and it's working fine. Thank you very much. I have also install the firmaware-realtek package too, so I think the Realtek NIC is full supported now.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!